Skip to main content

Like Katherine Heigl, I'm working my way to 27 dresses...

Went to Tampa to pick up a Maid of Honor dress on Saturday. This is the dress (but mine is black): xr.com/czn

I've lost twenty pounds since I ordered the dress, although I'm still not convinced that's noticeable. For the most part, all my old clothes still fit. I'll get into this later.

I had convinced myself that the 20 pounds would make no difference with this dress. And then I put it on. As I walked out of the fitting room, Traci's mom looked at me and said "you'll definitely need alterations," as she pinched an inch of fabric together on either side of my torso. She said the next size down, however, would probably be too small in the bust.

I got redressed and then went to the alterations fitting room with Traci to get her into her wedding dress. Once she was in her dress, I thought about that smaller size a little more.

The way David's Bridal (DB) is set up, they typically have various collection of sizes in the store, but they may not have your particular color. So while we were waiting, I thought why not try on the smaller size to make sure it doesn't fit before I get committed to spend a fortune on alterations. So I went back to the rack, found ONE in the right size and in my style, tried it on, and it fit like a glove!

I repacked the original dress (that I hadn't even taken out of the store yet) and walked up to the front of the store wearing the glove-like fitting one. DB has a return/exchange policy clearly stated, but I'm not above asking for a favor. And the original one had never even been taken out of the store.

The clerk assisting me was very understanding and actually high-fived me for losing 20 pounds. Then she explained she couldn't override the exchange policy, but she'd ask her manager. When the manager looked over to me, wearing the other dress, she actually said, "wow, it fits wonderfully!" (she's British, it's cute) and then said she couldn't see punishing me for losing the weight and to go ahead and exchange the original for one size smaller!

My new dress will be here before June 26th, which is a darn good thing because the wedding is July 11.

But what this means is that I cannot afford to gain OR lose any more weight between now and July 11. My dress fits **perfectly** as it is. As disappointed as I want to be about this new challenge, I'm trying to look at the bright sides:

1. I've dropped a dress size!
2. I'll get plenty of practice maintaining my weight.
3. I've hit a plateau anyhow, this way I don't have to beat myself up over it.
4. I don't have to feel obligated to lose more before the wedding.


What this means is I need to focus on maintaining my current habits of riding my bike (when the sky isn't crying) regularly (after I get a helmet, of course), going to the gym two + times a week, and eating the healthiest options I can find... SOMETIMES.

Maintaining my weight is going to be trickier than I thought. Just this morning I woke up and had lost two pounds since the beginning of the week... yipes.

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm very, very, *very* proud of you, sexy lady. keep up the hard work (I need to lose 20lbs too).

/PJR
Unknown said…
p.s. - I think the dress is very cute, do you think they have it in my size? ;)
revolutionaire. said…
Not to be a big softy or anything, but you just made my day.

And they may have it in your size, but you probably won't be able to fill out the bust. =/ Sorry, love. =P

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th