Skip to main content

What did the rug say to the floor?

I'm just going to bust out and say it... I don't have anything to say.

So it's list time again.

1. Against Me! I thought about it and thought about it and really... it's not able to be summed up in a blog. I saw them two weekends ago and still have a certain amount of euphoria clouding me. And I'm supremely happy about that.

I met new -- and entirely temporary -- friends at that show. A group of guys (and a couple girls) struck up conversation with me at the bar and we spent most of the evening hanging out, sipping beer, and talking about music and the movie Independence Day. It was easily a far better time than I would have had if I hadn't made any friends.

2. I've had a handful of people offer to help me get my foot in the door with TOEFL & international schools. In fact, the sister of my co-worker returned last night from China and she said you don't even need a teaching degree -- just certification with TOEFL. She told her brother -- my co-worker -- that in China, where she's teaching, there's a teacher who's contract ends in June. Essentially she said if I passed my TOEFL exam I could be teaching in China in two months. WTF! I'm pretty sure it'll take longer to get my passport!

To think I could be living in a foreign country, teaching English by next year really blows my mind. I never expected that to be the case. And that brings me to the question what would I do with L&B? As much as it blows my mind that I could live in a foreign country, I cannot wrap my mind around leaving my girls behind. I wouldn't even think of it.

Which brings me back to the original plan of staying here, getting a teaching degree, and sticking within the states for awhile. And by 'awhile,' I morbidly mean until L& B kick the bucket, which will, in all honesty, probably destroy me.

3. I'm set up to photograph a married/pregnant couple this weekend for a small fee. I'm looking forward to it, but really feel like I haven't quite done all my research. I've never done belly shots, or pregnancy pictures. The closest thing I've done to this is engagement photos; which in no way involved a belly -- just a couple. I can do it though. He's someone I know from high school, so it should set up to be a totally comfortable experience. Yay for fluffing my portfolio.

And, a friend asked me about photographing her wedding on 10.10.10. While it is far away, it's nice to make plans. I told her yes already. Friends are important to me.

And, I have my flight for the August NH wedding booked. I'm flying up on Friday and flying back on Monday. Both morning flights. I'm pretty sure Jones & Isiac are picking me up from the airport -- I look forward to that. It's been too long since the three of us were spent any significant quality time together. And this'll be Isiac's last single days. Not that I'm complaining, I love his future wife; she's perfect and totally amazing. But nothing's ever going to be like it once was. Just seems fitting that they'll be picking me up. And from what the blushing bride says, Jones will probably be taking me back to the airport; Isiac'll be married on his honeymoon by then I hope, so he'll be preoccupied.

If I end up counting on Jones, I won't help but think about that time he drove from California to New Hampshire and attempted to pick me up from the airport in Manchester, only to forget to calculate one time zone and be waaaay off track. I love telling that story because as much as I love some of my friends that were currently in New Hampshire, it baffles me that it took something like three hours for them to tell me they couldn't come get me when Jonesy was totally attempting to drive literally across the country to pick me up. Becky saved my day though, and came to pick me up when my other friend flaked; I won't name him. And it turned out to be a superb bonding experience for she and I.

One last thing about photography. My co-worker, the one with the sister who teaches in China (which is by no means where I want to be), also is an avid supporter of my photography business. He has a small collection of original pieces hanging in his house already and, just this morning, asked for three more. It's awesome really. He also has five or six custom desktops for his laptop of mine. Makes me feel quite like a successful photographer.

4. The 365 Photography Project is going on without me and it's kind of starting to hurt. I can't figure out why I'm in such a slump these days. Is there really nothing to photograph?! I've been out on several bike rides and never once seen anything worth photographing?! WTF? It's a project I started as a new year's resolution and I just can't keep it going. But Christina and Mat Ryan, and a couple other friends are successfully posting their photographs regularly. I admire it and do aim to get back involved. I just haven't felt motivated at all. Maybe next year I'll successfully update daily for all 365 days.

5. L&B have been venturing out in the yard without leashes the past couple days. It makes me feel good, but paranoid at the same time. I live between two highly traveled roads and the thought of seeing one my dogs hit or get hit by a car terrifies me. And yes, we have a fence. But fences haven't always stopped them in the past. And they're not used to boundaries -- what growing up for almost 8 years on six acres with no rules and NO roads -- they develop habits. I can't blame them. But it's taking time and patience for them to learn they aren't allowed near the gates. And they need to stay within my vision range while they're off their leashes. They're figuring it out. And honestly, I don't think they'd necessarily run from me, but if they saw a squirrel, which will undoubtedly one day happen, they will run for it.

6. Last item: Karolyn's wedding. I went on Saturday. Karo is JM's sister. She's a very dear friend of mine and I love her and Russ to pieces. It was, I initially thought, going to be quite an awkward experience. But I realized shortly after arriving that I pretty much had the upper hand. Everyone actually did want me there. It was nice. And all the hype I'd built up in my head about how awkward it would be to be JM's ex-girlfriend and be at his sister's wedding was truly just hype.

The fact is, his family loves me. He does too, but that's not the issue I'm discussing. His family loves me. I like to consider them part of my family and I'm glad I didn't miss the most important day of Karo's life thus far. She looked radiant and breathtakingly beautiful. I can't even fairly put it into words. Just classy and gorgeous. And we had so much fun at the reception. I danced more than I think I ever have and I felt so at home with her and all her friends. Some day maybe I'll get around to writing an entire entry about Karo and how much she means to me and what she's kind of taught me over the past three years. She deserves that, but it's not happening to night. It's officially 1130 and I really need to be in bed. You're lucky I wrote this much. I'm feeling very uninspired lately.

Comments

Unknown said…
What did one lesbian vampire say to the other lesbian vampire?



... see you next month. HEYYYYO
Samsmama said…
I'll come back when I can pay more attention, but you spent time talking about Independence Day??? That killed me! I've seen that movie 64 times.
revolutionaire. said…
@patrick - this better be my Navy boy in Texas. You joke killed me. Too good. Too good.

@Samsmama - come back any time, I love when you stop by. And I know... it's not as out-of-left-field as it sounds though, the bar had the movie playing on their televisions. And THAT was out of left field.
Samsmama said…
Sounds like things are really going great for you! I'm happy.

How kick ass to have a friend drive cross country for you? That rocks.

The wedding sounded like a ton of fun. Glad you went, and yay for dancing!

And that bar having that movie on isn't all that weird. It is ALWAYS on.
Anonymous said…
Alison Scott! I am SOOOO freaking glad you came to the wedding. I'm for serious. You were a dancing machine and you looked HOT! yeah I noticed, as did others ;) Seriously though, you are always such a pleasure to be around and I'm really happy that you shared my day with me :) whoops, I meant Russ too, hehe. I hope to see you again reallllly soon. Love you chick!

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th