Skip to main content

The cyclist nod.

I love this so much I have to RT (retweet for those who do not tweet), but if I do, it's goes over the max 140 characters. So I'm putting it here.

"The nod...when I"m out cycling and someone goes past it's like "hey, we're doing awesome things let's be friends for a second"

This RT comes from a blog called 1000 Awesome Things. It's pretty neat really. And I only discovered it because I read this guy: Rob Anderson, who's latest blog is called 100 Awful Things (yes, an intentional opposition to the 1000 Awesome Things).

I'm going to make my own lists (of both) some day -- probably the same day I do this: Sorry Samsmama, eventually I'll get around to it. I promise. Pinky swear even.

Anyway, enough of the back story.

Here's why I love this one-liner from 1000 Awesome Things.

Yesterday I was riding my bike (I'm writing more about yesterday after I finish this blog) and as neared the railroad tracks that I mentally mark as my official transition into 'downtown riding,' I could hear conversation being maintained behind me. I rarely encounter other cyclists while I ride, so I looked back to see two pros gradually gaining on me (I call anyone in spandex and an aerodynamic helmet a pro).

Surprise. On the rare occasion that I do see a fellow cyclist, he or she more on the homeless/never-shower/don't own deodorant side than the side that these boys were on. And for a half a second I felt kind of embarrassed to be on my purple Huffy, in jeans and a t-shirt as they cruised closer to me all decked out in legitimate cycling gear. Can you say intimidating?

The cool part was they didn't laugh (like I imagined they would). They gave that nod the writer of the one-liner mentions and then they actually stopped their conversation and had a quick one with me. I felt like part of something bigger than just riding my bike to town. I felt like part of a community or world of people who cycle for recreation and fitness. It's the first time that's happened. And as silly as it seems. It was empowering.

On a less significant scale, I make every attempt to wave and nod at everyone I pass or everyone who goes out around me while I'm riding. The people in my neighborhood actually know me know for riding my bike and walking my dogs now. And I've meet a couple people who work next door because I cross the street as they're pulling the parking lot. I make all attempts to converse with the people in our neighborhood. And I'm happy they're willing to nod and wave back.

Comments

Samsmama said…
I had similar thoughts the other day when my husband and I were on the motorcycle. It kills me that other riders give a little wave or peace sign. Our own little club we're in.
revolutionaire. said…
seriously. I'm not a motorcyclist (I'm sure you knew that), but I LOVE it when I see two give each other that low wave. Awesome. I'm glad you relate.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th