Skip to main content

Go Relax! (And I have a question for my readers.)

Okay ... maybe I've been under a bit of stress lately. I'll admit, I have a tendency to carry a packed schedule. And for the most part, I can do this quite well. But there are times -- and I think they come in waves -- that I need to gtfo and decompress. This is why you suddenly find out I went to the beach, or was MIA for an entire weekend. It happens. It's been happening for my entire adult life. Those who know me, either embrace it, or get over the fact that I'm not changing.

But I have to confess, even for me, the schedule lately has been an overwhelming one. At the end of May I was looking at my calendar and realized from that day through the middle of July, there isn't a single vacant weekend. I wish I were kidding.

As much as I love being busy and having parties, volunteering, getting together with friends for coffee, and all of that fun stuff, if I don't get to take a long, retardedly hot shower every few nights and turn my phone off from time to time, I become the most heinous woman you'll ever cross. And lately, I've been missing the hot showers and no phone days. And it's been showing. I'm on the brink of utter heinousness and I'm telling you, you really don't want to see that.

On top of being uber beesh who'll destroy your existence for not taking out the trash or returning her email, I get ultra emotional (read: cry like there's no end in sight) and often times react to situations without using my usual and trusty old tools like logic and reason.

About three days ago I was having a conversation with my best guy friend. We talked over a couple hours about all kinds of things -- some pertaining to him, some to me, some neither of us. At one point it came up that I was so damn busy this summer. When would I get to relax? He said, in what I thought was a joking matter, that I needed to treat myself to a day at a spa. The comment blew by so quickly and the conversation transitioned to something like the habits of dogs that I never thought another thing about it ... until I checked the mail yesterday.

In my mail box I found an envelope, hand-addressed to me from Cloud 9 Spa and Salon in Gainesville. When I opened it, I found a brochure wrapped in a sleeve with a message on the front.

To: Alison
From: Patrick
I think you might need this. Thanks for being a good friend. Go relax.

I started crying immediately. Attempted to compose myself (because the last thing Patrick wants is to answer his phone to a sobbing, incoherent schlub babbling on about a spa treatment) and called him. When the phone was ringing, I was fine. When he answered, I started crying again. I can't help it.

I think it sends me to tears when people do generous things for me because it's not often it happens. I'm not saying the people in my life aren't generous, but your run-of-the-mill generosity isn't the same as picking up on the fact that your friend needs to be pampered and surprising her with a gift card to a top of the line local spa.

I've been carrying it around with me since yesterday. I'm still trying to decide what to do and when to go. Although I think I've decided I'm not going until Traci's wedding is over. Because once that occasion passes, it's all downhill for the rest of the summer. And I'd like to start the downhill slalom with a deep and refreshed zen about me.

My question to you is, what kind of treatment would you get if you could have anything at Cloud 9 you wanted? I really want answers to this, because I'm definitely not the type to know what kinds of things to try.

Comments

Samsmama said…
Wow, Patrick is a good friend!

I've very little spa experience. I had a GC for a few treatments and gave it to my husband. ;)

However, I will tell you that nothing makes me feel better than freshly waxed eyebrows. I love it when one becomes two.

And I'd never had a pedicure until my 9th month of pregnancy and it was to die for! This from a person that can't stand feet. I got one the day before my wedding, too, and it rocked.

Whatever you decide to do, ENJOY!
revolutionaire. said…
HAHAHA.... "I love it when one becomes two."

You kill me with your comedy! Seriously though, I've never waxed my eyebrows... be honest, does that hurt like a mother?? I'm used to plucking at this point.
Samsmama said…
It stings for a second. Honestly, what pains me more is when they do "clean up" with the tweezers afterwards. I have no clue how some people can pluck. The waxing is over so quickly.
Anonymous said…
From what you are saying, I think a massage would be nice for you. They are to die for and they are so freaking relaxing. Not to knock the eyebrow waxing, but you'd probably rather get more out of your experience. I have to say, facials and pedicures are awesome as well. Either way, whatever you pick will be great! Just remember it's all about relaxing and getting pampered!
revolutionaire. said…
You ladies are seriously DA BOMB!

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th