Skip to main content

Here's to you, kid.

Because I don't have any other photos of us on my laptop, here's a screen shot of a picture of Susan, Ryan, and myself after a dinner at 'Your Neighborhood Applebee's.' 

Ryan and I met a few years ago through a college newspaper class. He was responsible for updating the newspaper's website; but aside from that, was not part of the course. I was a new student, and objected to the seemingly blase attitude our teacher had toward Ryan's absences, despite his strict attendance policy for the rest of the students. 

It wasn't until I cornered Ryan, still virtual strangers, and asked what his "deal" was that I actually learned he wasn't really a student in the class. That explained the teacher's indifference. And Ryan earned the new nickname, "Phantom" for the simple fact that no one ever witnessed his presence, but there were always signs that he had recently been present. 

That was several years ago, and since then we've continually grown closer. These days he's one of my best friends -- one I talk to routinely and one of very few that knows pretty much everything there is to know about me (everything interesting and important anyway). 

About two years ago (I think) I approached him about writing a program that my employer could use to track their members' contact information and work history. He and I put our heads together and he ended up writing a program that the labor union I work for can no longer function without. 

About two days ago he graduated as an Electrical Engineer from the University of Central Florida and began his latest journey with a brand new employer -- where he'll have his own office, with his name on the door, and two interns working for him (eventually) in Huntsville. 

So here I sit, reflecting on that last few years; thinking about how our friendship has changed me and, actually, even opened doors career-wise for me. I think about the things I probably wouldn't know or have ever considering learning if it weren't for him, for his willingness to learn things, and for his confidence that if I want to learn something, I can. He's beyond fathomably intelligent, and that's not even to toot his horn (he'll do that himself). He's beyond fathomably intelligent, yet he's more capable than anyone else I know of putting things in the simplest terms for someone less intelligent to understand (someone like me, for instance -- although I'm not too terribly unintelligent myself -- toot, toot.). 

I think about what it was like when he lived in Gainesville. We went to the O'Dome to watch the Gators National Championship game on the big screens with tens of thousands of other students and fans. Sometimes we'd get together with friends and do nothing. I remember sitting in his Gainesville apartment listening to him read Chuck Norris facts aloud. 

We've never had one of those friendships that required activities. Although our trip to Busch Gardens, Tampa was fun and eye-opening. Going to Busch Gardens with Ryan, an electrical engineer, means if you're remotely interested in the logistics and physics of roller coasters (like I am), he'll gladly explain things to you. For me, this means I'll never visit a roller coaster park and view things the same way. In this sense, and others, Ryan has forever changed me.

But now he's earned himself this amazing opportunity to do the precise line of work he wants to do and he's moving nine hours away. And what does he do? He gets a 2/2 apartment so that WHEN his friends come visit, there'll be an extra place to sleep. Apparently he knows me too well, because there's no question I'm coming to see him the first chance I get. 

I sit here and think about all that he's accomplished in his life thus far and I can't think of anyone else in my life, my age, that compares. I don't think there is such a person. He inspires, and will continue to do so -- even from Huntsville. Because a nine hour drive isn't going to keep us from being friends. 

As crappy as it is that one of my best friends is moving nine hours away, I can't complain. He's getting ready to live his dream... or one of them. He's accomplished so much and worked hard to reach this place and I could never be so selfish to wish he didn't move. 

I'm so proud of him, that even as a fan of the English language, I cannot find words. 

Here's to you, Ryan. 

xoxo, I'll see you in Huntsville.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

What did the rug say to the floor?

I'm just going to bust out and say it... I don't have anything to say. So it's list time again. 1. Against Me! I thought about it and thought about it and really... it's not able to be summed up in a blog. I saw them two weekends ago and still have a certain amount of euphoria clouding me. And I'm supremely happy about that. I met new -- and entirely temporary -- friends at that show. A group of guys (and a couple girls) struck up conversation with me at the bar and we spent most of the evening hanging out, sipping beer, and talking about music and the movie Independence Day. It was easily a far better time than I would have had if I hadn't made any friends. 2. I've had a handful of people offer to help me get my foot in the door with TOEFL & international schools. In fact, the sister of my co-worker returned last night from China and she said you don't even need a teaching degree -- just certification with TOEFL. She told her brother -- my co-worker