Skip to main content

Eating is not a social activity.

As I've mentioned a million gazillion times on here, I joined Sparkpeople.com in January.

Since joining, I've lost about four pounds simply by consciously deciding whether I'm hungry or not. When I quit going out to eat with my co-workers every day, I half expected the pounds to fall off. But they didn't, and that's fair. When I joined SP and started tracking what I eat, I realized it was never really what I ate, but more the portions that packed the pounds on.

I think part of America's issue with obesity is that we dine together as a social outing versus throwing a frisbee in the local park or going to the beach, or even a museum.

When I started eating predominantly for purpose rather than pleasure, I realized not only was I beginning to feel more satisfied with my meals, they were more savory, and they resulted in an uplifted energy level when looked at in comparison to my old ways.

It's amazing how a simple change like listening to your body and knowing the difference between feeling hungry and feeling thirsty. . . or worse, the difference between feeling hungry and feeling bored.

I haven't cut any foods out of my eating style. In fact, I had Moe's and Zaxby's in one day. Granted, that's obscene regardless of dieting, but I had been working all day long (and had a salad at Zaxby's).

I eat ice cream, but just half a cup.
I eat Hershey Kisses, but only a couple.

Nothing is suffering, especially myself. I've never been happier. I've found a way to consciously maintain a healthy eating style and not miss out on anything. It's fantastic.

I think it has a lot to do with actually considering my meals before I eat them. I get the impression that is something a lot of Americans (people in general), including my old self, do. We don't consider what we're eating. And how much. And that, coupled with a sedentary lifestyle, is precisely leads to overweightness.





And starting soon, I'll be hitting the gym again on a regular basis. I'm happy with the way and rate at which I've already started losing weight, but I honestly can't wait to kick start a serious exercise regimen to see the inches come off too!

Comments

Jessica Nelson said…
I think you're probably right. I've always had a fast metabolism, but when I worked at the bank, went out to eat with co-workers and snacked on donuts our manager brought in, I gained weight, even though I went to the gym every night.
After I had my first baby, I stayed home and suddenly got skinny. Had no clue at first why, but then I realized that I wasn't snacking all day long, like I used to.
I also stopped taking birth control, which made my metabolism speed up.
Anyways, good for you! I can't stand dieting and feel bad for people who do it. People, we NEED chocolate. LOL :-)
Have fun at the gym! And go you for eating smart, instead of starving of yourself. :-)
revolutionaire. said…
Thanks for the encouragement, Jessie! Hope all is well with you!

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

What did the rug say to the floor?

I'm just going to bust out and say it... I don't have anything to say. So it's list time again. 1. Against Me! I thought about it and thought about it and really... it's not able to be summed up in a blog. I saw them two weekends ago and still have a certain amount of euphoria clouding me. And I'm supremely happy about that. I met new -- and entirely temporary -- friends at that show. A group of guys (and a couple girls) struck up conversation with me at the bar and we spent most of the evening hanging out, sipping beer, and talking about music and the movie Independence Day. It was easily a far better time than I would have had if I hadn't made any friends. 2. I've had a handful of people offer to help me get my foot in the door with TOEFL & international schools. In fact, the sister of my co-worker returned last night from China and she said you don't even need a teaching degree -- just certification with TOEFL. She told her brother -- my co-worker