Skip to main content

What do I know about love?

Often times I find I'm doling out relationship advice and I just have to stop and laugh at myself. I'm not sure how I came to be in a position to give advice -- Jon-Michael is my first authentic boyfriend (and second and third, humorously enough) -- but if I'm being helpful, I don't mind.

I think my insight may have come from watching many relationships develop and or deteriorate as I grew up. I remember being the only girl in my group of friends in middle and high school who didn't date someone (and I just don't count James Todd these days). That, combined with being a shoulder to a lot of people, really helped me to assemble quite the cabinet of relationship knowledge before I ever stepped into that stage of life myself.

And it certainly helps that my parents have been happily married for 30+ years now. There's not many better examples of sustaining a happy, healthy relationship than the example of my mom and dad. And believe me, I've analyzed the dickens out of their lives.

But all the relationship knowledge in the world doesn't hold a candle to having my own. It's like baby-sitting, just because you can watch someone else's kid for three hours while the parents go out for dinner doesn't mean you're capable of raising your own.

I have all the same struggles as everyone else does: I go through all the same motions, all the same fights, all the same fears [these are the woes]. And I also have all the same wonderful feelings [these are the whoas]. The difference is apparently I can often predict all the possible outcomes of all those motions, fights, and fears.

And if you've ever found yourself hearing my relationship advice more than once, chances are you heard nearly the same thing twice. The core of the advice anyone will get from me is that you cannot be happy with someone else until you're happy with yourself.

Once you've accomplished your own personal happiness, attracting a mate is the easy part.

I suppose before I go any further I should say there's nothing wrong with dating someone without intentions of having a serious future, that's not what I'm talking about here. If you want to casually date - go for it, that doesn't really take much advice.

I'm talking about finding your soul mate, your other half, the yin to your yang, the cheese to your macaroni, your Jon-Michael Soracchi.

"Well, I've learned that if you're losing yourself trying to make someone you think you are in love with happy, then it's not the right love. The right love doesn't let you lose yourself."
-- Me (to Ryan).
But if you don't even know yourself, how do you know if you're losing you or not? How do you accomplish your own personal happiness?

Look into yourself. Indulge all the interests and eccentricities you've always stifled. Try new things, surround yourself with positive people. Be where you want to be – not in the physical as much as the mental.

You'll only find the right person for you when you are really you. Because if you're not being true to who you are, how can you expect someone to recognize who you are and love you for it?

And let me just say, if I am where I think I am in relationship-land, the whoas greatly outweigh the woes.

My advice to you is to keep your eyes open and attempt to be at your best in the physical, mental and emotional states. My friend Peggy wrote as her senior quote, "never walk around with a frown because you don't know who's falling in love with your smile."

And I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it if I tried.

Comments

J.M. said…
1. James Todd definitely counts, if for no other reason than to make me feel like I didn't steal you out of high school.

2. Your friend Peggy was right because I fell in love with your smile.
revolutionaire. said…
@ Joe: hey thanks. You write about love sometimes. Perhaps it was you who inspired me to write it out again.

I'm glad you like it.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th