Skip to main content

“Paris is always a good idea; I was happy there.”

Friday, January 2, 2009


Right now I’m sitting in the living room, on the love seat, watching Harrison Ford’s version of Sabrina. I’m freshly showered, thoroughly exhausted, and excited that I’m watching Lifetime on the family TV while typing on my micro-mini laptop. Earlier today I edited photos while sitting at the breakfast bar two stools from my dad while watching the evening news.


I’m looking forward to the day I get to curl up in my queen-sized bed with my pint-sized laptop and blog. Quite the polar opposite of what I have now – a twin-sized bed and a tank-sized computer. The upgrade makes me feel like science fiction. I believe the moment in slip into that gargantuan bed with that micro computer I’ll know what Neill Armstrong felt like when he stepped onto the moon.


This weekend is going to be a good one. I’m coming into the last two days of a four-day weekend, the second extended weekend in the last two weeks (the last one being a five day weekend!). Tomorrow (Saturday) I’m going to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and hopefully get a good photograph for the 365 Project.


I’m going to come home from Habi and hang out with my parents and Jeff and Kelly. Hopefully I’ll pack up my car with a bunch of things I need to truck over to the future house. A bottle of 409, some rags, the bare essential tools, some spackle, a bunch of my craft stuff, anything that can go upstairs, and God knows what else.


Then Sunday I’m going to meet Angela at the Magnolia House and unload my stuff and her stuff. And then go back to her house and get even more of her stuff. It’s going to be a productive two to wrap up a long weekend that was a combination of productivity and pure lethargy.


I want to touch up on my French. It has nothing to do with watching Sabrina, but I miss speaking it. Jon-Michael says, and makes a good point, that French is an almost useless language. It’s not like Spanish, which I also want to learn, and is spoken in several varying regions (although with obviously varying dialects). I have all the necessities for learning Spanish – several friends who speak it fluently, two tutorial CDs, and the desire. I just can’t figure out why I haven’t stuck to learning. American Sign Language would also be a great language to learn.

I went on walk-about today; when I first set out I discovered this really beautiful caterpillar on a railroad tie near my front stoop. I took some photos of him and kept on with the walk-about. When I returned to the front door, I checked to see if the caterpillar was still around and to my surprise, he was. And five of his friends were with him.


But not only were he and five friends hanging out in my flower bed, they’d taken no time at all to finish off all but five leaves on one of my largest plants. I almost died. I wrangled the caterpillars and transported them far, far away.


It’s getting late and I really, really want to be able to get up in the morning for Habitat. At this point, I don’t know if it’s going to happen. But I’m going to do my best to make it. I need to get back into the swing of Habi. My life hasn’t been right lately. I actually felt depressed the other day. Crying depressed. Uninterested in other people depressed. That’s not me. Not me at all. I need Habitat back. Need it.




Saturday, January 3, 2009


Well, I made it to Habitat today. And am thoroughly glad that I did. Finally I got the opportunity to work the same day as Travis (who is my favorite supervisor to work under, no offense Chris). Though he and I weren’t on the same site, we did get some interactions.


He’s entertaining. But what’s better than him being entertaining, he’s considerate and kind. And it makes me feel nice to know that the newest supervisor on site knows my name better than . . . say, Todd does. Not that Todd is known for being a friendly guy, but it’d be nice if he acknowledged that I work diligently and accurately when I’m there.

Travis has the ability to be an informative, helpful, accomplished supervisor as well as a friendly, kind and jovial friend. What’s amazing? They’re friends. But I’m not knocking Todd. I respect the man, and actually, quite like him. I just don’t understand why he can’t bring himself to be outwardly kind to me. Although, maybe he considers not chastising me over little learning experiences as being kind to me. Who knows? Either way, it’s not fault of anyone’s, just my acknowledgement of their characteristic differences.

Once again today I was the last volunteer to leave. As I was walking away I was thinking about my unintentional tendency to do more than what is expected of me. That is, of course, how I got so involved with Patriot Press.

I mean, granted, I was mildly interested in Jon-Michael at the time, but I really was curious to know the dominant cogs in the system of Patriot Press. And the same goes for Habitat for Humanity. I want to know the strength behind the fascinating organization. And the strength is in the supervisors.

So, I stay late each week. And as a result, I get to know some of the supervisors, slowly, but I do. And I love it.

But what I love most is being recognized as one of the most efficient and useful volunteers available on any given Saturday. I won’t say I’m awesome at working with Habi, but I will say that sometimes I feel that way. It seems like every time I turn around, someone is calling my name to do a measurement or an overhead installation, or light drafting. It’s kind of flattering. Nay, it’s incredibly flattering.

I’ve spent a significant portion of my youth hanging out with my dad and learning from him. He’s handy, crafty, intelligent, and easy to learn from. And I get reminded every Saturday that he has taught me well. And my relationship with my dad is one that will forever identify who I am as a hands-on person. My dad and I even make the same faces when we focus.


Sunday, January 4, 2009

Well, I went to the Magnolia House today. I met up with Angela around 10:30 this morning, unloaded the things from my car and hers and got to work on cleaning up the kitchen. We put new hardware on the cabinets, painted the refrigerator in chalkboard paint, laid contact paper on the shelves, and cleaned every surface. I feel thoroughly pleased with the way we finished up the kitchen.

When we went to lunch at Crispers and ran out to Lowe’s for the paint and hardware, we also picked up shades for my bedroom and the living room. They’re fantastic. I can’t wait to get my room finished/started. Angela is going to Sherwin Williams tomorrow to get the paint for the kitchen. And some time after next weekend we’ll tackle painting the kitchen and move on from there.

Speaking of next weekend, I’m switching subjects.

I’m taking this Friday and the following Monday off work to spend time with my best friend, Patrick. We’ve been friends for almost ten years and we’ve yet to share one of my favorite past-times: road tripping. So at some point on Friday we’re leaving together for Pensacola. We’ll visit friends there and stay for the night. Then Saturday we’ll bond while driving from Pensacola to Corpus Christi, Texas. While in Corpus, we’ll hopefully visit an aquarium. You know how I love aquariums.

But mostly, you know I’m just looking forward to generally bonding with him. We’re the kind of friends – and if you’re a regular reader/long time reader of my blog, you know this – we’re the kind of friends that don’t need a lot of quality time regularly in order to maintain a healthy, happy friendship. We just fit. We’re just awesome friends. And this trip is going reignite a friendship that’s been meaning to be pampered!


Monday, January 5, 2009

I can't recall anything life altering happening on Monday. So I'm just going to skim right over it.

Tuesday, Januay 6, 2009

I spent the day at work, wishing it would go so fast. I had dinner plans scheduled with Susan and Jason at Ruby Tuesday in Gainesville. We had so much fun. After dinner we walked around the mall doing a combination of people-watching and ruckus-stirring. This was the first night I was some place other than home for my 365 Photography Project photo.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

With each passing day, I drag out of bed a little slower. These days I am not in the mood for work. Nothing happened on Wednesday. I just want to get to telling you about today.

TODAY! Today is going to get it's own blog. Bam. take that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th