Skip to main content

Neglect. Involved. Obstacles. Progress.

So it's seven days into the new year and I haven't written anything worth discussing. It's kind of tragic really. Tragic, but only if you don't consider the reason I haven't been writing. Enter the 365 Photography Project.

Words can't really describe how proud I am of this blog. Or how pleased I am with all the photographers contributing. The diversity is vast and the optimism and excitement is not just evident, but fervent.

I guess I need to just make a list. That's the best and quickest way to get my life these last seven days jotted down in an orderly fashion.

1. 365 Photography Project. I'm so fatigued I can't even put it into words right now. Just look at the site. You'll get the gist. It was my New Year's resolution. It caught on with some friends and some friends of some friends. And before any of us knew it, we had a collaborative blog of 15 photographers/world-observers contributing their one of a kind photography.

2. My dearest, Jon-Michael and I are progressing nicely. We're officially dating again and I'm happy about this. As individuals, we're both progressing in life and I think having individual, yet parallel goals has really helped us to work more fluidly. We're both moving into new places! We're planning on celebrating our birthdays together and perhaps retreating someplace quasi desolate. *(at least, in my mind it would be desolate.) All in all, things just seem good right now.

3. Angela and I worked on our house on Sunday and it felt great. We're going to be painting when I return from Texas and before any of us know it, we'll be living there. I just hope the fence gets fixed before move in time. I can't move there if my dogs can't. And my dogs can't move there if the fence isn't fixed. Minor dilemma. But we do have the coolest custom fridge in the history of fridges. The entire exterior is a chalkboard. Beat that, suckahs.

4. Two days from now I'll be wearing plain clothes and dark sunglasses standing with a duffel slung over my shoulder outside a medium-sized suburban home in Ocala, a dark blue Honda Accord will zip by with the passenger door flung open. I will succinctly toss my duffel and myself into the car as we peel out of Suburbia, heading for the border.

Okay, in reality I'm going on a quick road trip to Pensacola and Corpus Christi with Patrick. But the thrilling sound of the previous paragraph is much more entertaining. We're meeting in Ocala after he gets back to town from the BCS Bowl in Miami. Then we're driving to Pensacola, where we'll visit friends I've neglected for probably a year. Then we'll drive to Texas, fall asleep, wake up, go to the aquarium, spend the day together, fall asleep, wake up, and then respectively go to the airport and back to the naval base. It's going to be one of the fastest trips ever for me, but it's also going to be oh-so-worth-it.

5. I've got two weddings booked -- one in August and one in September, both in New Hampshire. Both are business deals, but deals for friends. I'm flying up there to be their photographer, but moreso to celebrate the greatest, most important days of their lives thus far. Prior to that (July actually), I've been asked to be the Maid of Honor for a friend in Tampa. The summer months are going to be stressful -- monumental AND stressful.

I've locked down the dates for the New Hampshire weddings and it's about time to start looking for flights. The earlier I can book them, the cheaper they'll be -- theoretically anyway. And considering the travel costs are one factor of the price I charge the couples, I'd like to get them for as cheaply as possible.

6. I'm going to have a queen-sized bed when I move. I can't even fathom having a queen-sized bed in the giant bedroom I have now, but I'm going to fit one into the much smaller room to which I am moving. I am both apprehensive and excited about this part of the whole endeavor.

I just imagine myself being swallowed up by fluffy blankets in a bed the size of the sea (I currently have a twin, so you can understand why I exaggerate slightly) and never wanted to escape. Mountains of pillows, a down comforter (in my dreams!). A plush, pillow-top mattress. Ahhhhh.

Obviously it's not the bed that makes me apprehensive. It's the amount of room that will be the remainder once the bed is in place that makes me decoratively queasy. There are at least four things I simply have to fit in the room with my bed: a chest of drawers, my love seat, a night stand, and Blondie's bed. But to anyone who's seen my current living arrangement -- my whole life is in my bedroom (all 23 years of it). It's going to be a change to go from what I currently have to a nice crisp, clean, orderly room with minimal furniture and clutter. OOOOOOOOOH la la. mmmmm. I'm eager about the starting over bit, I just don't know what I'm going to do with all this stuff I have.

7. I bought a laptop. It's actually the twin to J.M.'s and I didn't do that by choice, although it was knowingly. Two Christmases ago I was given a very gracious gift card from Wachovia. After this Christmas that just passed, if I hadn't used it, they would start charging me for it. Before this most recent Christmas J.M. bought himself a neat little netbook laptop (the kind that only ways two pounds and doesn't have a CD drive). I saw it and fell in love ... with J.M. all over again.

The price is right, it does everything I would ever need it to do, it's wireless capable, has a webcam, several USB ports, and a cute little pouch to put it in. So I decided the time was right. I went to every single electronics store in Ocala and not a one could be found. Until, and thank God, I was walking out of that wretched Best Buy and noticed they'd built a Staples just next door. It was like the damn Holy Grail. I about cried out with joy. I walked in and, after a brief moment of panicked searching, a kind young man directed me toward the Acer netbook and asked if I wanted him to log in so I could play with it. This is how the conversation went:

him: "would you like me to log in for you?"
me: "nope, I just want one."
him: "uhm. okay, you don't want to see it or anything?"
me: "nope, I know it doesn't have a cd drive, and that's fine."
him: "... uhm, yeah, it does everything a regular computer does, not counting the cd drive you already knew about."
me: "it's perfect."
him: "so you want one? that simple?"
me: "definitely. I don't need the CD drive. I'm getting a wireless mouse. It's the perfect size for my camera bag. I'll need to wireless internet capable soon. I want the webcam. It's everything I need. It's perfect. I can plug my card reader, my external hard drive and my wireless mouse in at once. I need it."
him: "would you like to purchase our set up package, it comes in silver, gold, or platinum. With this package we take care of getting everything all set up for you within the computer."
me: "are you asking if I need you to set it up for me?"
him: "Well, yeah."
me: "Do you know if the battery comes charged?"
him: "I believe it does."
me: "then no, I don't. I'll just go to Crispers and do it myself on their wireless."
him: "okay . . ."

SOLD. Six minutes later I had the mean mama jama opened up on the table in Crispers. And over a Santa Fe wrap, I set it all up by my onesie!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't forget about the wedding in April that you will be attending!!! April 18th that is. I hadn't sent you a save the date cause I figured JM would just tell you, lol. No pressure though :)

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th