Skip to main content

Pollo de Bryan

I had a date on Saturday. First first date I've had in a very long time. It felt really nice.

Sitting across from him at dinner, I felt chemistry. I mean, real fireworks and love-connections. It was neat to feel that way again. I know it seems funny, but every time I looked up and saw him gazing at me, his eyes would dart away as if he'd been caught. Busted. Had.

And I ... well, I just couldn't quit grinning about the whole thing.

But when I say the sparks flew, I mean boy did they fly! We were laughing and enjoying each other, we held hands across the table. It was all so very romantic. He kept telling me how beautiful I looked. I was comfortable, in a great mood, and very pleased with the romantic setting of his restaurant of choice. It was definitely a nice change from what I've been recently experiencing. I don't like bickering and it easily annoys me, and lately it seems as if that's all I could do. Saturday night's date was a complete 180 from what I've been going through.

He treated me to a palatable dinner at my most nostalgic restaurant, but nostalgic it may be, Carrabba's was a symbol of something new this time around. He started the night off right by meeting me at my car, walking me to the door, and opening it for me. Then he let me sit down first and let me order first. He was a complete gentleman. So to keep with the firsts and the new things, I ordered something I'd never tried before, and I was stupefied by how delicious it was (the name sounds so ordinary). He bought my dinner and offered to order dessert, but I opted not to -- I was beyond satisfied by dinner plate.

After dinner, he asked if a movie would be a good idea. Neither of us were dressed appropriately for a stroll, which would have been my leisure activity of choice, so we went to the cinema. We agreed on Smart People, but I think I enjoyed it more than he did. His favorite part, he said, was my resting my head on his shoulder.

After the movie, he took me to Sonic and got me a super-classy dessert -- M&M SONIC BLAST, ladies! And then, to top the evening off rightly, he took me to the store to run the errands he knew I'd needed to run before I headed home so that I wouldn't be out that late alone. What a gentleman!

He took me back to my car after a nearly seven hour date, and when we parted ways, still smiling (and, by this time, hurting from it), I couldn't help but think, maybe I've uncovered something remarkable about this man. Maybe he is different.

Comments

Laura said…
you held hands on the first date? OMG, racy lady!

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th

What did the rug say to the floor?

I'm just going to bust out and say it... I don't have anything to say. So it's list time again. 1. Against Me! I thought about it and thought about it and really... it's not able to be summed up in a blog. I saw them two weekends ago and still have a certain amount of euphoria clouding me. And I'm supremely happy about that. I met new -- and entirely temporary -- friends at that show. A group of guys (and a couple girls) struck up conversation with me at the bar and we spent most of the evening hanging out, sipping beer, and talking about music and the movie Independence Day. It was easily a far better time than I would have had if I hadn't made any friends. 2. I've had a handful of people offer to help me get my foot in the door with TOEFL & international schools. In fact, the sister of my co-worker returned last night from China and she said you don't even need a teaching degree -- just certification with TOEFL. She told her brother -- my co-worker