Skip to main content

So... what does all this mean?

From The New York Post's list of 50 comedians' favorite short jokes.

'What in the hell will President Bush's library even have in it, as it's common knowledge he basically lived by the mantra, "Say No to Literature." I figure it'll be like walking in there and saying, "Wow, look at all these Cliffs Notes!"'

- Richard Lewis

On a completely unrelated note, the past week has been one of the most mentally taxing weeks of my life. So taxing, I can't even recall the beginning half. I'm just going to break things down into categories.

We'll start with work, it's been hellacious. Number one, I love my job more than most people can honestly say they love theirs, and I wouldn't trade working here for any place else I can think of -- except myself!

But there is one particular time of year that really stretches me (and all the staff) to the max here at work -- picnic time! Each year Local 222 of the I.B.E.W. has an annual family picnic. And the five of us here in the office are responsible for making it a delightfully fun time for all involved.

We try so hard to appease each member, and we can never make everyone happy. And I know that. But we still try.

Anyhow, the weeks nearing the picnic are hectic ones -- weeks filled with endless phone calls and reservations, packing boxes and bags and automobiles, preparing and printing awards, and ordering prizes and souveniers. And you know, those things would be much more manageable if I didn't have to continue doing my regular job of website maintenance and membership correspondence; these two responsibilities are a full-time job -- what with 700+ members, it's no easy job keeping them all informed. Plus keeping the site up-to-date and up-to-par (which it, by no means, is)... yikes.

And of course, last week I had to be given the most difficult assignment I've faced yet with my HTML class -- JavaScript. I officially hate JavaScript with a passion. I like to believe that, were I able to give my full attention to the assignment, I would have been able to complete the assignment with ease. But, my teacher says it was a difficult assignment, so I'm betting I wouldn't have. But Patrick came to my rescue and .... I just recently discovered, he earned a 10/10 on that assignment -- bringing my lowest grade of the semester to 19/20 on a quiz!

In more school-related news, my final is tomorrow. A friend of mine from class, coincidentally also named Allison, sent me a spreadsheet that calculates all your grades and tells you what you need on to make on the final to make an A. I need to make a 49%. I think I'm just going to write my name on my paper and say, "peace."

In personal-life related news, my Grandma is becoming quite frail. This is a very, very, very large reason why this past week was so overwhelming. With the picnic going on, I wasn't able to get down to the Orlando hospital to see her until Sunday. And Sunday was looking a little unlikely for awhile, but happened (entire family style!). But ... my entire brain was consumed with thoughts of Grandma's health and my getting down to see her for the entire week (and still is), which made it damn near impossible to focus on school or work work (but those things are chum compared to Grandma, obviously). I miss her like you wouldn't believe and am very scared about this hospital visit and, because I'm talking to the world wide web, that's all I have to say about that.

Also, I love that my parents are at the house lately. I am probably one of the only 23-year-olds who loves spending evenings at home watching british comedies with my mom and dad on PBS while doing sudokus. In that way, I'm an old soul.

And I really have enjoyed my last few rendezvous(es?) with JM. We went to dinner not too long ago and we've been having happy visits lately and that makes me happy. BUT I also have a tendency to get my hopes up easily -- so when we make tentative plans and then those fall through ... I get bummed. I can't help enjoying his company more than most. It's just the way it is.

And I've been doing photography pretty steadily again lately -- it's theraputic. Coreopsis are in bloom, as are the Flock. There's this guard Donkey in a herd of cattle on UF's property that I trespassed to photograph. And then there was the petting zoo at River Ranch (picnic location) and now I've got this plan to spend a day this weekend visiting all the old towns in my area and photographing the architecture. I not only need to fluff my portfolio, but I need the therapy as well. Nothing calms me like some alone time with my 30D. I'd marry it if I could... well, maybe not.

I've decided not to take Jasper back to the vet. He seems happy, and healthy (with the medicine) and right now I can't afford the vet anyhow. So he's happy, I'm happy. And I'm not putting him through any more vet visits than I have to.

I don't really know where I was going with this blog.

When things finally settled down, and I was at my house with no plans of leaving any time soon on Sunday night, I lay down on the loveseat, sudoku book in hand, british comedy on the tele, and happiness across my face. The week of stress, tears, planning, fear, and overextendedness was over.

When things like last week happen to me, I get frazzled, but containedly so. To people looking at me, it's hard to tell I'm overwhelmed, because I deal with personal things personally. But my breaking point happened on Friday night, when the party I was supposed to be attending was happening out in a field, with a propane cooker, a picnic table, heaps of delicious food, music, a lantern, and all my co-workers, while I was trying to figure out my damn homework in a hotel lobby.

Suddenly I realized (Patrick was working on my assignment) that whether I was missing a party or not, the homework wasn't that important. And while I hate not doing my best on assignments, I hate regretting even more. And I was regretting working on my homework when I could have been having a happier time. Then all of a sudden, one of my co-workers called my cell phone because I had the truck with the plates and forks in it. Woops. Patrick told me to go ahead and go, and then literally moments later he called and said he'd figured it out.

What a relief. So I got to enjoy the party and hang out with all my co-workers and their significant others (which is the part that kind of sucks, I guess...). And then next morning everything regarding Grandma started to fall into place, the picnic went well (minus the very young boy driving a golf cart through a fence and into a crowd of people) and everyone seemed to enjoy it (except us worker bees, who'd partied the night before).

I think it was the cutting loose of the issue with the homework that made space in my head for everything else to work out the way it all needed to and that is exactly what I needed. That, and photographing baby horses helped also.

Needless to say, I slept incredibly well last night.

Like I said about six million paragraphs ago... I don't know where this is going. I'm just unloaded my brain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th

What did the rug say to the floor?

I'm just going to bust out and say it... I don't have anything to say. So it's list time again. 1. Against Me! I thought about it and thought about it and really... it's not able to be summed up in a blog. I saw them two weekends ago and still have a certain amount of euphoria clouding me. And I'm supremely happy about that. I met new -- and entirely temporary -- friends at that show. A group of guys (and a couple girls) struck up conversation with me at the bar and we spent most of the evening hanging out, sipping beer, and talking about music and the movie Independence Day. It was easily a far better time than I would have had if I hadn't made any friends. 2. I've had a handful of people offer to help me get my foot in the door with TOEFL & international schools. In fact, the sister of my co-worker returned last night from China and she said you don't even need a teaching degree -- just certification with TOEFL. She told her brother -- my co-worker