Skip to main content

Bums talking politics.

For now I don't want to go all politico on anyone -- I'm feeling anti-opinionated today. But I have to tell this story.

In between my work and my house, which are probably about 15 miles apart, there are easily 8 - 10 homeless people asking for help, food, water, work, anything they can get. And generally, I see no one offer up any assistance.

Today I gave a guy $2. When I handed it to him, he said the standard, "thanks and God bless you" that you generally hear in these instances. Then as he was walking away he said, "I'm a freaking vet. I served four years in Iraq. I'm a vet and I'm on the streets, begging for money." That's when I really assessed the situation. He didn't have a backpack, no drink, no pile of belongings. He did have, however, a prosthetic foot and the inside of a mountain dew box with his begging written on it.

That's when I said, "I get angry at our country for this very reason. I'm sorry." And then my light turned green and I left. But as soon as I pulled away from that light, I knew I was forgetting something -- I didn't thank him. I went home, sort of with a pit in my stomach for not thanking a man who probably lost his foot fighting for my right to healthcare to ensure I don't have to lose mine... and things like that.

I went home, which was only a minute further down the road, filled a giant gatorade bottle with water, loaded L&B into my car, and headed back that way.

This time I pulled into the turn lane next to him, held the bottle of water out the window and said, "sorry I didn't say thanks the first time. This is all I can afford to give. Thanks for fighting for your country and I'm sorry your country isn't returning the favor."

He reached out, took the bottle of water, said something about how no one had ever stopped twice and given him something, how that meant a lot, and how he hoped one day his country would actually take care of him the way he'd taken care of it.

Then, I shit you not, he stopped mid-sentence, looked at the Obama sticker on the side window of my car, and said "there's gonna be a revolution. They're going to kill Obama." And then frowned.

The light turned green, naturally. But before I went, I said, "I hope that doesn't happen, but in the event it does, I hope he can save you first." And then I left.

I'm still perplexed. I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Comments

Samsmama said…
????????????????????

What?

Props to you for your good deed!
Unknown said…
you're such a good person.
i heart you.

/REILLY

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

What did the rug say to the floor?

I'm just going to bust out and say it... I don't have anything to say. So it's list time again. 1. Against Me! I thought about it and thought about it and really... it's not able to be summed up in a blog. I saw them two weekends ago and still have a certain amount of euphoria clouding me. And I'm supremely happy about that. I met new -- and entirely temporary -- friends at that show. A group of guys (and a couple girls) struck up conversation with me at the bar and we spent most of the evening hanging out, sipping beer, and talking about music and the movie Independence Day. It was easily a far better time than I would have had if I hadn't made any friends. 2. I've had a handful of people offer to help me get my foot in the door with TOEFL & international schools. In fact, the sister of my co-worker returned last night from China and she said you don't even need a teaching degree -- just certification with TOEFL. She told her brother -- my co-worker