Skip to main content

Top Five Things on My Mind

1. I need a hair cut.

Not so much for a change of style, but to improve the condition of my hair. It's getting kind of ratty on ends. For the new friends I've made, it's important to clarify that I damage the shit out of my hair on a regular basis. From the beginning of high school (nine years ago), I've dyed and bleached my hair countless times. And generally I'd grow it out, cut it off, donate it, and start all over again. I'm at the start all over again stage now. It's longer than it's been in awhile, and I like that, but the ends are getting kinda shitty. Time for a trim. "Hello, Hair Cuttery? Can you squeeze me in today?" HAHA. Scratch that, I'll get Angela or Susan to trim it up for me.

2. I went for a run last night. And it sounds so cool to say that.

I went to the gym and warmed up on the stationary bike while reading a magazine. I was doing near 140 rpms, but I'm pretty sure that's mild for me. So stationary bike for 10 and then I got on the treadmill. One thing I forgot to do was stretch, but maybe the stationary bike helped that. Here's the embarrassing part... I got on the treadmill and put on Big & Rich's song Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy (because what other songs do they even have?!) and started warming up with a little less than a power walk at around a 3.5 pace. I picked up the pace a bit (to a 4.0), but before I knew it, my power walking wasn't quick enough for me. I kept inching the pace up a notch until before I knew it, I was running at a 7.0 clip. Pretty damn cool.

3. My favorite mechanic is celebrating a birthday tomorrow.

And I'm going to bake something for him. I'm thinking ... well, actually I may not bake, that depends ... I'm thinking peanut butter pie, because I know he loves peanut butter. Those don't require baking. And boys like to eat; whenever we have sweets here at our office, or when we make a big lunch, they come over (the machanic, by the way, is next door to my office). It'll be a combination 'happy birthday' and 'I'm sure glad you're alive' cake. The 'I'm sure glad you're alive part' is because 1.) he takes care of my car for next to nothing and 2.) he just met eye to eye with a fast-moving 18-wheeler last week and is here to tell about it.


4. Against Me!

In a couple days I'm going to be standing in Common Grounds with quite possibly no one I know (yet! I'm optimistic I'll make a new friend), a beer in hand (because a PBR goes so deliciously well with Against Me!), listening to a band I so epicly love blow my mind the same way they did the last time I saw them (which was a few Fests -- and years -- ago.). It's going to be incredible. I'll probably walk out of Common Grounds in a half-glazed state of euphoria.

5. My Co-worker is ... well, you decide.

She got back from lunch today and, out of courtesy -- not because I really give a shit, I asked her how it was. Instead of telling me it was savory, or terrible, or whatever the hell word she thought would have described it, she burped for what seemed like an entire, continuous minute.

Comments

Samsmama said…
Words I've never, and will never, utter?
"I went for a run last night".

DO Big & Rich have other songs? I have no clue.

You coworker sounds lovely. At least it was a burp...
revolutionaire. said…
Honestly, I never thought I'd go running either. I never thought I'd run except maybe from a maniacal, rabid grizzly bear. And even that's a maybe. But something about the way I was feeling yesterday made me want to.

It's sooo embarrassing that I listened to that song. I don't even really like that much, I just found it easy to run to... or maybe I was running from it. That would make more sense.

She is quite ... lovely. And I should be grateful it was just a burp. At least she didn't shit herself. That would have been waaaay worse.

You sure do have a way of looking at the bright side.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

What did the rug say to the floor?

I'm just going to bust out and say it... I don't have anything to say. So it's list time again. 1. Against Me! I thought about it and thought about it and really... it's not able to be summed up in a blog. I saw them two weekends ago and still have a certain amount of euphoria clouding me. And I'm supremely happy about that. I met new -- and entirely temporary -- friends at that show. A group of guys (and a couple girls) struck up conversation with me at the bar and we spent most of the evening hanging out, sipping beer, and talking about music and the movie Independence Day. It was easily a far better time than I would have had if I hadn't made any friends. 2. I've had a handful of people offer to help me get my foot in the door with TOEFL & international schools. In fact, the sister of my co-worker returned last night from China and she said you don't even need a teaching degree -- just certification with TOEFL. She told her brother -- my co-worker