Skip to main content

2008: wrapped up.

The year is over in less than 48 hours.

This blows my mind because I clearly remember the hay ride, the bonfire, and the kiss from last year's New Year's party. I'm asking myself how it's possible that an entire year has gone by. And myself has no answer. Fiddle sticks.

Let's think back...

We started the year off by having the party at the ONF house, like we usually do. Big bonfire. Fun hay ride under the stars. It was perfect weather for ringing in the new year.

New Year's Eve.


Later in January my birthday happened, but I don't remember what I did, so apparently it wasn't anything cool. WAIT! I do remember. And it was cool. I went bowling. Right? I went to Golden Corral for dinner and went bowling with my friends. Detra was still pregnant so I know it had to be this year.

Birthday Bonanza!

In February I joined a program called Interpals and started meeting pen pals from all over the world. All of which I still keep in touch with, although not as regularly as I'd like. I'm fond of the idea of some day visiting Austria to meet Christina and visiting Italy to meet Luca, Robby, and Diego. 'Some day' being the operative words.

Also, in February I did some serious soul-searching to determine what the wedge between J.M. and I was. I'm not sure, beyond our matching zodiac signs, I ever figured it out. Well, the zodiacs and a substantial amount of time apart.

Perhaps 10 months is substantial time. Perhaps this is why we're working so well right now. (this will call for a new blog). We're happy and seem to be in the best place we've ever been in. We're working to independent, but hopefully parallel futures, and have our eyes on some concrete goals. And all this seems to be making us function much more successfully. And I say cheers! to that.

And lastly in February, Susan and I witnessed a very amazing lunar eclipse together. We stood in the back of my dad's company truck, peered over the roof of the house and watched the moon disappear. It was probably one of the most incredible experiences ever.

That very fantastic lunar eclipse.

In March, my best friend Angela and I drove to New Hampshire to see more of our best friends. This would mark the first time she and I embarked on a trip together. The road was bumpy, but definitely ranks in my top three roadtrips of all time. Other than this trip, I can't think of anything that happened in March worth documenting here.
McHenry Tunnel?


In April, things were really looking fantastic for J.M. and I. Not only were we on great communicating terms again, but he even took me on a really romantic date.

Unfortunately, simultaneously things were looking very very poorly for Jasper. His health had plummeted in his old age and he had been reduced to needing medicine each morning and night, and even still would occasionally become paralyzed from low glucose levels.

Susan and I auditioned for CBS's reality TV show called Big Brother. We didn't make it, but we did audition and that was fun.

But the most difficult news of all April, was the news that Grandma was going into the hospital, this time more frail than ever before. Her condition more poor than imaginable. And it seemed she wouldn't be making it home.

In early May, she departed the hospital, but headed for Heaven, not home.

Grandma.

Also in May, after a long night of struggling and suffering, I took Jasper to be euthanized at an emergency veterinary office.

My baby, Jasper.
In June, some friends and I went to Orlando to see Less Than Jake... nothing unusual about that. But if I told you we saw them twice in a matter of hours, would you believe me? Because we did. Twice in one afternoon/evening. Fan-fricking-tastic! We also saw Suburban Legends and Mustard Plug.

Also in June, we had a luau party for Angela's birthday -- fantastic!

I found myself questioning faith and religion a lot in June. But on the heals of losing Grandma and Jasper in literally a matter of days, I can't really blame myself.

And after losing Grandma, Jasper, and parts of my faith, I finally decided I needed to become part of something greater than myself. And so I started volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. And my life has been exponentially better since.

July wasn't a month for romance. J.M. and I hit another wall. And once again, I swore him off completely. =/ Come to think of it, July wasn't much of a month for anything. July wasn't a month for any good news, I should say. For it was in July that Ian Taliaferro died in a car accident in New Hampshire.

In August I threw the most bodacious party ever for Susan. I threw an 80s themed birthday party. Could it get any better? No.
Yay for the 80s!
Also in August I went to visit my parents in Upstate New York. They had a small cabin in the woods not more than 15 minutes from Canada. It was beautiful and I was in need of a decompression. And while I was there, I got to rendez vous with Jonesy and Becky in Vermont for lunch. What a nice get-away!

Fergie, the bull in Upstate New York.
September brought more soul-searching as I tried to pinpoint what I wanted to actually accomplish with my life. Teaching English abroad seems to have been the final decision.

October brought a political rally, at which I got to listen to and see Michelle Obama speak. It brought the Fest (the best one yet). It brought me listing a slew of things I intend to accomplish in my life -- though this list is ever changing, ever growing. And October brought my second trip to Las Vegas with Jon-Michael (at the time, my non-boyfriend).
The Obama Rally!

November was all-together a nice month. I finally finalized moving out of the ONF house. It's been a long time coming and I'm excited for this move. Thanksgiving was a nice holiday. And the month, in general, was peaceful.

And December was a really nice month. Our family vacationed at the beach for Christmas and J.M. came with us. We're officially dating again and all is right with the world. I'm happy. Life is good. I want a new year.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th