Skip to main content

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I never have seven people to tag for these things, but I do them regardless.

Laura tagged me. (http://iamarefinedyounglady.blogspot.com/)

Here're the rules!

* Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
* Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself -- make sure they're ones you didn't share last time.
* Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
* Let each person know that they've been tagged by leaving a comment on his or her blog.

I'm not particularly good at keeping secrets about myself, but some of my qualities do go unobserved by most people.

Here're mine.

1. This first one is one I've been slowly leaking out people. I read OneSentence.org.

Actually, when I say I read it, what I mean is I've read it in it's entirely. I can't even remember how I discovered it, but I'm glad I did. I read every sentence from the newest to the oldest archives and now I tune in every couple of days to see the newest new ones.

Sometimes it helps me to realize someone knows what I'm going through, other times it reminds me that no matter how bad my situation is, someone's in a worse one. But above all, many of the sentences have given me inspiration for writing short stories. They're really fascinating things. I even copied some of the sentences and posted them on writings of a woman/child so that I will hopefully, eventually, find myself inspired to write and -- sha-bam! -- they'll be right there as starter sentences.

If you're the kind of person who likes to sites like PostSecret, this is a site for you. If you're the kind of person who always wants to know the rest of the story . . . maybe it's not for you. The site is based on peoples' submissions of entire stories summed up (or not, even) in no more than one sentence.

2. I bought a new blanket yesterday. It's the first piece of anything that I bought specifically for my new house. However, I couldn't wait until March. I opened the blanket and slept with it last night. It's so comfortable. Sometimes I like to be all girlie and sleep in a t-shirt and undies with freshly shaved legs and lots of pillows around me with heavy, comfy blankets to snuggle under. Last night was one of those nights and my blanket matched my undies, matched my shirt.

3. Three times I have tried to write my own obituary and three times I have failed. I'm unclear on whether that's because I don't feel accomplished or because I don't want to think about dying because there is so much more I have yet to experience.

Before too long, I do want to successfully write my own obituary. And when I do, it will say I am survived by my Mom and Dad, my Grandma, brother, my sister, my aunts and uncles, my beloved friends, and my four children; Lucia, Blondie, Olive(r), and Charley (who will be taken care of by their adoptive father and my heart's desire, Jon-Michael Soracchi.).

4. Sometimes people get a laugh out of this, but I like penpals. I'm not great at writing to them, but knowing I have friends around the world really makes me feel much more globally connected. I have six solid penpals.

Luca: an Italian guy working as a tour guide and traveling in Germany right now.
Christina: an Austrian girl who seems to love learning about different cultures and who's traveled more than I can fathom.
Diego: an Italian guy who speaks English and Italian fluently and knows much of nine other languages, including Czech, Serbian, Ukranian, and Japanese.
Veronica: a Chinese girl who's going to school, studying, and traveling.
Robby: Robby is a photographer from Italy who just recently came to the United States on a photograph trip and traveled to San Francisco and New York City.
Aleksey: is a Russian college student who loves soccer.

5. One of my favorite 'feel-good' activities is buying new undies. Yesterday I went to Target with Angela and we each dove into the 5 for $10 bins. My favorite kind are the hipster ones. They're so ridiculously comfortable. Anywayz... the only 'feel-good' activity that trumps buying new undies is wearing fancy underpants underneath a t-shirt and jeans for an added burst of pep on an otherwise dull day at work. Ladies, I strongly recommend this. Nothing will put a silly smile on your face like knowing you've got the sweetest pair of underpants on imaginable ... unless you like going commando, in which case, that would put a sillier smile on. No Undies Mondays, anyone?

6. Last night my best (boy) friend called me. When I answered he said, "I wasn't expecting to get you.." When I suggested that he sing me the song he was planning on singing into my voicemail, he informed me that he calls pretty regularly but hangs up if he gets my voicemail.

Really, the little known fact buried in this paragraph is this: over a year ago JM, Susan, and myself flew to Las Vegas for Thanksgiving. It was while on that vacation that I mailed Patrick Reilly a post card telling him I'd be up to Pensacola to visit in no time. He still has the post card, but it's in his new apartment in Texas and I never did go see him in Pensacola.

When I realized how lousy of a friend I must be to never have visited, it kind of made me sad. If there's one friendship I do believe I take advantage of, it's his. If there's one friendship that I believe is underrated, it's his. If there's one friendship-related thing I regret, it's not spending more time with him when he lived much closer.

He's my best (boy) friend and he's in the Navy. His moving to Texas was the first of many long distance moves he's going to make in his career. And sure, I'll miss him, more than fathomable really. But the truth is, I'm closer to him than I am to some of the friends I see on a much more regular basis and no distance, no military, no girlfriends or boys will ever change that.

7. And because that one was so long, this one'll be a quickie for you. I love anything cranberry flavored. I love cranberry juice, cran-grape, cran-apple (or crapple as it's called in my house), cran-rasp, cran & O.J. -- basically any concoction that contains part cranberry. I love cranberry sauce, cranberry stuffing, and I love Craisins.

If you've got a recipe that in any way involves cranberries, please share it with me. I'd love you forever.


And now, I'm tagging (I'll add the links tomorrow):

Angela
J.M.
Joe Costa (oooh, I stand to learn a lot here...)
Patrick Reilly (obvi)
Jessica Nelson
Amy (Amymeshell)
and Christina (of Austria)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th