Skip to main content

If that's not Las Vegas behind us, I'm short in stature.


Okay, okay. We went. Again.

And I probably didn't tell you, and I'll probably catch a lot of heat for that, but that's okay. The first time you get to take a semi-secret rendezvous, you'll understand why I did it.

Not to say thinking of my friends when I travel is a burden, but thinking of them when I've got less than two days to muscle in the entire northern half of the Las Vegas strip, a fancy french dinner, a musical, the Bellagio's famous conservatory, a 4 AM trip to down town, the forum shops, a stroll through Mandalay's shark reef, and more black jack than I can handle is.

I just wanted a weekend with no phone calls. No distractions. And, with very few exceptions that I chose to make, that is exactly what I got. And I have the blisters on my feet to prove all the pavement I pounded in 43 hours.

The trip was full of experiences, both good and bad. At first I thought it sucked that we were going to Las Vegas. With the exception of New Hampshire (which should really be considered visiting family), you all know I prefer to visit NEW places. But after being home for a day with quiet time to think about things, it was much more full of positive experiences than negatives. That being said, I don't think Las Vegas is a city I intend to frequent. I know this was my second time in less than a year, but that's not really that often.

I think going away together was not the logical next step for JM and I. But if we play by the rules of logicality, things would never happen between he and I. So, like that very first time we interacted when I asked to borrow his Mike Jones CD, I'm glad I took this plunge. Actually, if we're being honest here, my feelings toward the trip fluctuated between the time I booked my flights and the time I got to JM's house on Friday. I want to go. I don't. I want to go. I don't. I realize now I didn't want to go because such a large portion of my brain functions based on logic and as I've already pointed out, there was no logic me going on this trip.

I don't like Vegas. For what it is -- for the money you can easily spend there, I don't think any of it is worth it. Twenty seven dollars for half a triple decker turkey club and a Bahama Mama (albeit from an incredibly cute Spanish bartender)? At the time you think, "oh it's worth it, I'm in Vegas." But when it's all said and done, it's still only a half a triple decker turkey club and a Bahama Mama -- even if the bartender is tall, tan and tattooed.

Back to the story. I don't think it was the logical step for JM and I. There were moments on this trip that made me question great, large parts of the last two years or so of my life. Not for nothing though, the inquisitions all ended positively.

I think sometimes it takes putting yourself in a highly variable situation in order to realize what a person is potentially capable of. This can go both greatly positive and horrendously negative. But discovering what each of us is capable of doing, dedicating, giving, and tolerating (to and from one another) is definitely enough reason to be glad we went. And actually, our destination choice has a great deal to with how much we discovered about each other.

I'm sure this is the case for most relationships, but nothing has ever come easy for JM and I. We have unusual individual situations -- ones that would normally disable two people from ever even meeting, much less sustaining any amount of relationship for three years. When I consider that, I actually think we're making decent progress.

JM had every intention of quitting the Patriot Press just before I started, but circumstances required he return for one more semester. And the only reason I took the class at all was with the hope of one day being in a predominantly photography based position on staff. I may have made Photography Editor, but that pales in comparison to the love I found with JM.

I don't believe in coincidence. It's my theory (and hopefully his too) that we were supposed to meet in that class; our meeting was the intention of fate. And so I don't believe that any amount of misunderstandings or disagreements between JM and I are worth so easily disregarding a cosmic entity as powerful and omniscient as fate.

I don't really know how to stop writing about such a all-encompassing piece of who I am -- and that is just what JM has become. He is someone who's helped identify me. But not only that, he fills a void. He might possess qualities I'll never understand, but he also understands the qualities in me which he will never possess.

We're in a good place right now -- a really good place. And I think that's where I'll end this.


peace/alison

Comments

Laura said…
this was an interesting post. i swear following you and jon-michael is better than reality TV. in a good way.

but i'm glad your recent venture wasn't completely miserable.

and i seriously don't GET las vegas, either.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

Sometimes a girl just needs something. (journal, NSFW, language)

I don't typically feed off of the positive reinforcement of my peers. I've never been one who looks to others for approval. I just do what I do and don't ask for much. Now, do I have expectations or needs? Sure. But that doesn't make me selfish or needy. That just means I'm human -- with emotions, and sensitivity. The expectations and needs I do have are simple things -- things any mildly advanced primate could do. Seriously, I don't ask for much. Love me? Care about my feelings? Put in some effort from time to time? By no standards are any of those things too much to ask. But for fuck's sake. I lost ten pounds. TEN fucking POUNDS and there are more perfect strangers happy for me than there are close friends. Susan, my sister, is the ONLY person who's said she's noticed the difference. And even if she's lying (and I'm not saying she is), at least she's fucking encouraging me. I've been trying so damn hard to lose weight, to maintain a

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th