Skip to main content

boys, boys, and boys (?).

Everything comes in threes.

1. Jonesy called two nights ago. It startled me a little bit. It was just 10pm, I'd just laid down and the telephone rang -- "private caller," I know that's him calling from home. We talked for several minutes while I tried to stay awake in bed. He filled me in on some of the happier updates in his life right now and while he was talking, I thought to myself, I cannot recall a time I heard a happier tone in his voice.

There's definitely something to be said for recognizing true happiness in the heart of a person who seldom seems to exhibit it. And all I can think is that without her, he'd be in a far worse place right now. Getting to share the excitement of someone else's fresh happiness is one of my most favorite natural highs.

Aside from being giddy about our respective happinesses, Jonesy and I talked about the Fest. It's his first time. Teehee. I'm actually really excited about it. I love sharing the Fest with first-timers. Aside from that, however, it's been far too long since Jonesy and I were at the same musical experience . . . I'm pretty sure Bingstock was the last time. I'm looking forward to him letting loose and me having the opportunity to laugh hysterically at him. That's how we roll.

2. I saw Gary yesterday. He called and asked me to come over so, without question, I did. I can't explain it. He never asks for something he doesn't truly need. I left work for over an hour to sit in his living room and cry subtle tears while, for the first time, he told me the honest truth about what he's been going through.

I kept thinking I'd never seen him look so healthy -- so refreshed -- he was laughing and smiling. He was happy. It's deceiving to look at him -- so seemingly healthy. I wanted him to stay, I want to believe he's better. He's not. In time, though.

I want to clarify, though I don't know who to, his coming home wasn't him quitting. If anything, maybe it was him getting a little startled that he was beginning to find faith in something greater? Whatever it was, he wouldn't be staying long, which is why he needed to see me. We didn't get to say goodbye the last time he left.

For a year he'll be gone, fighting a battle I cannot help him with. And that tears me apart, but I know there isn't anything more I can do but love him, not judge him, and remind him every day I'll still be here for him when he gets home.

I wanted to savor the minutes I had with him in the living room talking and laughing yesterday, but it's hard to not let reality loom. I remind myself though, that Gary will be coming back healthier, happier, and more well-educated. And he helped to recognize that.

Perspective:

Imagine a yardstick. Imagine that yardstick as your entire lifespan -- from birth to death. Say you live to 72-years-old (which is young these days!). That would mean every inch of the yardstick would be equivilent to 2 years of your life.

(If he lives to 72-years-old) Gary is only 11 inches into his yardstick. And the way he sees it, if giving up half an inch (one year) to a certain facility ensures that the remain 24.5 inches (49 years!) are not clouded or damaged by this, it's beyond worth it. And he's right. If not having my best guy friend in my life for a year means that I get to keep a healthy, happy him as my bff for the rest of eternity, then I'm down.

The facility allows letter writing, but incoming and outgoing all gets pre-screened. And I think eventually they allow phone calls. He gets to play his guitar, work out, eat, read, study, whatever. They also allow visits, but only from family. So for the next year, I'm Gary's cousin.

3. hasn't happened yet. We'll see what comes.

Comments

Joe Costa said…
I was hoping this was about motley crue.

Alas though, insightful nonetheless.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

Sometimes a girl just needs something. (journal, NSFW, language)

I don't typically feed off of the positive reinforcement of my peers. I've never been one who looks to others for approval. I just do what I do and don't ask for much. Now, do I have expectations or needs? Sure. But that doesn't make me selfish or needy. That just means I'm human -- with emotions, and sensitivity. The expectations and needs I do have are simple things -- things any mildly advanced primate could do. Seriously, I don't ask for much. Love me? Care about my feelings? Put in some effort from time to time? By no standards are any of those things too much to ask. But for fuck's sake. I lost ten pounds. TEN fucking POUNDS and there are more perfect strangers happy for me than there are close friends. Susan, my sister, is the ONLY person who's said she's noticed the difference. And even if she's lying (and I'm not saying she is), at least she's fucking encouraging me. I've been trying so damn hard to lose weight, to maintain a

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th