Skip to main content

Tipping... le sigh.

The economy sucks right now. (Understatement of the year?)

Everyone knows it sucks, but for the most part, everyone's still going out and doing things. Me for example -- I went to Target yesterday and bought half the store. Granted, about half of what I did buy was stuff I truly needed (deodorant, shampoo, whatever), the other half was stuff that was on sale. Yay for sales. Now I'm broke.

I'm off topic.

At Wendy's last week, I order two 5 piece chicken nuggets and my total was $2.71. Granted, that's not at all expensive, but it's also not at all much to eat. I did a quick scan of the menu when I was leaving. Nuggets, which were previously $.99 for five have now gone up to $1.59 for five. Considering the economy, it's no wonder, but it's still a hard pill to swallow.

Realizing the increase in cost of the nuggets made me start thinking about what else has gone up. Sticking to the food industry, I can't imagine entree costs haven't increased at restaurants like Carrabba's, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, etc.

Now I think about how the wait-staff suffers. There's no doubt in my mind that the average tip percentage has dropped.

The thing is, people still want to go out, drink and dine, and have a great time. But after all that, do they have the respect to properly tip the waiter that put up with their rowdy antics the entire night rather than move 3 or 4 or 5 tables of people through their section? Most likely not.

Suddenly their pockets get tight.

So not only do they skimp on the tips, but they keep the waiter's table clogged up all night. That then rules out any possibility of the waiter making up for one shitty table's worth of diners by getting a table's worth of pleasant and understanding people after they go.




Bottom line: Tip well, tip accordingly. It's common decency to tip incredibly gratuitously if you've occupied the table for an extended period of time -- and that's because you've just hogged their section and they can't make any more money with you sitting there.

Here are some tips:

Helpful hint 1: When you're looking at the menu, factor tip into the price before you order so you know whether you have the greenbacks to afford such a meal. (don't forget to factor drink)

Helpful hint 2: If you're just out for dinner or lunch, order a water to drink. Sometimes what you don't pay for the beverage could add up to a decent tip for the waiter.

Helpful hint 3: If your service was good quality and your experience was nice, round up not down.

Helpful hint 4: Remember, your waiter doesn't even make minimum wage. He or she is counting on tips. Try to put yourself in those shoes.

Comments

Laura said…
good point! if you can't afford to leave a good tip, you can't afford to go out to eat. end of story.

i worked for tips in a coffee shop through college, i totally understand and appreciate good tip karma.

my helpful hint is to tip bartenders $1, PLUS $1 for every drink served per trip to the bar. i mostly frequent dives, but this seems to work well and usually works out to 25 percent or so.


you if you keep a tab, the 20 percent rule stands.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of