Skip to main content

Habitat for Humanity.



I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity last Saturday morning, building new homes in a rundown section of West Historic Ocala.

Blind. That's how I went into the adventure.

I had emailed DeAnna Hartley to ask if there were still projects in need of volunteers. She was eager to hear from a new volunteer and encouraged me to come at my own discretion.

The following Saturday, I was one of the very first volunteers on the scene and aside from being slightly tired, I was pumped and enthused about the work that lay ahead of me -- whatever kind it may be: hammering, sweeping, painting, siding, sawing ...

But Dee also said she may have a different kind of volunteering in mind -- volunteering to do the photography for a Women Build Project calendar. MON-U-MENTAL!

I was already eager to volunteer with the building process and now I've been given the opportunity to do a photography shoot for a Habitat for Humanity, Women Build calendar!

I just don't know what to say.

What great opportunities for me.

What a great way for me to give back to the community, learn about construction and development of homes, be touched by witnessing and having a hand in the dedication of a brand new home to it's brand new family, meet incredible people, and practice my photography skills.

I am stoked.

And even tough this coming Saturday is going to be one of the longest days ever, I'm still going to volunteer in the morning, go home, shower, nap, and then drive to Orlando for a grand finale of a concert. In one day, Habitat for Humanity changed me.

And, I made a new friend on Saturday. Her name is pronounced Fee-me, but I don't know how to spell it. She's incredible! She's about my age and she was also volunteering. We worked together all day -- the difference was, she'd never used a power tool, swung a hammer, or got on a ladder taller than a step stool.

By 11 A.M. (we started at 7), she had helped build one wall (swing that hammer!), installed two walls, got on a ladder and drilled holes in 2x4s, and did all of that on the SECOND floor of an entirely unfinished house. (unfinished meaning there were no walls, just a floor, one story off the ground.)

As she and I were leaving, she turned to me and said ... "so I got on a ladder today and used a power drill ... on the SECOND floor!" To see the pride in her face at her own accomplishments and her contributions to the building of a new home, was one of the best feelings of the day. I get goose bumps thinking about it.

When it started pouring rain as I was running back for my bottle of water, she yelled "I'll wait for you, Alison!" And she did. She waited under a tree in the rain because she knew we were two of the last people to leave and HFH encourages the buddy system. She's an incredible woman and I can't wait to work with her again.

I could pretty much go on forever about my experience last Saturday, but why would I, when I can tell you all about it all over again next week after I've gone again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th

What did the rug say to the floor?

I'm just going to bust out and say it... I don't have anything to say. So it's list time again. 1. Against Me! I thought about it and thought about it and really... it's not able to be summed up in a blog. I saw them two weekends ago and still have a certain amount of euphoria clouding me. And I'm supremely happy about that. I met new -- and entirely temporary -- friends at that show. A group of guys (and a couple girls) struck up conversation with me at the bar and we spent most of the evening hanging out, sipping beer, and talking about music and the movie Independence Day. It was easily a far better time than I would have had if I hadn't made any friends. 2. I've had a handful of people offer to help me get my foot in the door with TOEFL & international schools. In fact, the sister of my co-worker returned last night from China and she said you don't even need a teaching degree -- just certification with TOEFL. She told her brother -- my co-worker