Skip to main content

Secret Identities.

I'm not sure how I feel about people keeping things as serious as a daily commitment to public writing from their husband/significant others/friends/people that are "important" in their lives. I can't help but wonder what would happen when someone unexpected, someone that you never wanted to read it, discovered it.

I know a woman who's been writing a public blog since 2007. Usually she writes about her husband, her children and the general on-goings of her life; although, she never wrote their names, and goes by an alias herself. Anyway, her writing never seemed like a big deal to me. Then her husband found out about it.

And when that happened, I started to think about the things she'd write -- the things I knew/read as comedy, but things perhaps her husband would be hurt by. When it's at the expense of someone who has zero idea he/she was being written about, I have a hard time feeling sympathetic in the wake of the repercussions. I feel like he has every reason to be a little heartbroken in discovering that his wife has successfully kept a secret existence from him for two years.

After her husband found out, she started writing by invitation only -- meaning not any old person can stop by and read what she writes. She doesn't have to worry about perhaps a mother-in-law, or family friend, or sometime in the future, perhaps even a kid stumbling upon a blog she wrote where she trashed the way her husband was contributing that day.

Don't misunderstand this, I've definitely opened my mouth and inserted my foot on more than one occasion with this blog. The key to my blunders is that I never tried to hide them. The things I've written about people are advertised all over my Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, AIM... everywhere. Not that this excuses any hurtful things I said, but I always also said those things directly to the person they were about (which was almost always Jon-Michael, I'm sorry honey).

This entry of mine is about people writing openly public, openly blatant, openly hurtful blogs about people in their lives without giving those people the benefit of knowing it's happening. It'd be one thing if the writer was writing in a private online diary, but we're talking about public blogs here. Blogs anyone with enough sense to use Google could discover. And my how your world might crumble were the wrong person to Google the right word.

My friend with the family blog changed her set-up. And I too have learned from my past. I think it may be true that everyone has to learn on their own time, but ... just let this be a warning.

If you're going to have a bitch-fest, do it in private. And if there's any brain-wielding adult on this planet who still believes in complete anonymity on the internet, let me shake you vigorously by the neck. It does not exist.

=/

Comments

Samsmama said…
Mine was a secret for quite some time. In my defense (or, to my credit) I never bad mouthed my husband. And even now that he knows about it, I don't edit myself. If you're going to put it out there, you take a risk. And then you have to own it. Well said, sister!
revolutionaire. said…
Hey, and I definitely think our friend has made the right move, even if it sucks right now, to be private/invite only. Saves a lot of potentially bad scenes. And I love her stuff too. I want that to be known. =]

Just gotta be willing to face the downfall, that's all.
Angiela23 said…
Well, since people I don't even know have left comments on my blog I have changed it to private. I never entended for strangers to be reading personal life stories, and to tell you the truth it kind of freaked me out! It's kind of like overhearing a conversation about yourself, it can hurt. The truth or what other people think of you can hurt sometimes.
Samsmama said…
She took it down.
revolutionaire. said…
it's a sad, sad day, Samsmama.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th