Skip to main content

A few things have been rolling around my head lately.

Projects for the house.
1. varnish the top of the table.
2. paint the laundry room.
3. paint the miscellaneous room.
4. situate my work space upstairs.
5. decorate the walls upstairs and in the stairwell

Things I need to do in other aspects of my life.
1. get a gym routine down pat.
2. wash my car, finally.
3. sweep out the dog kennel, ensure it's security, put L&B in it, see how they do.
4. find a bedspread I'm actually 100 % pleased with.
5. find a spot for my television for the time being.
6. pick up the litter around our yard.
7. get groceries for our family appreciation BBQ on Sunday.
8. give myself a very basic manicure.
9. snuggle up on the couch in my living room, watch a movie, and drink some cocoa with my lion slippers on.
10. scrapbook some stuff that's very important to me.


I think living in town is going to be pretty awesome.

I miss my parents, though. I know that's normal. But I do miss them. It's sort of strange for me. When they're traveling, I don't miss them nearly as much as I'm missing them now. And they do a lot of traveling. But when that would happen, they'd go, not me. I'd always be home. Living.

And they'd come back and we'd fall into our old routines -- for instance, the one involving my dad and I watching the morning news together while I drank cocoa and he sipped coffee at the breakfast bar, or him walking me out and us standing in the front yard talking about the day ahead for an extra five minutes, or all three of us sitting down with dinner in the living room to watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune together, or enjoying our snacks during the English shows on PBS.

I lived a long time with my parents. And this new life is a strange one. But I'm welcoming the opportunities I am discovering I do have now. For instance, I ran "into town" last night at about 9 to go to K-Mart and the gym. I was back within a half an hour. And had finished all my errands. It was fantastic.

I'm also embracing the new responsibilities I have with Lucy and Blondie. They're my best friends and I am their mom and caretaker. And we need each other. Since Saturday night, Lucy and Blondie have been going out for walks on leashes, and they're getting comfortable finally. They're very private dogs and very set in their ways, so transitioning from free-roaming on six acres to restricted exploration on a six foot leash has been a struggle. But we're adjusting. And we've established a bit of a routine.

Right now, I come back to the house on my lunch break to walk them in the middle of the day, BUT I'd really love not to have to do that forever. Frankly, I don't know if I'll be able to afford driving to and from home twice a day, every day, in the long run. We'll see. Blondie seems to have a smaller bladder than Lucy, so there's a concern for her having an accident in the house if I don't come home on my lunch break.

I think my plan for testing her 'holding power' will be to wake up and walk them at 7 am on a Saturday and not take them out again until 5, when I would typically get home from work and see if she can make it. Kaye's dogs can do this. I imagine mine can too; they're just not used to all this.

Tonight I believe I'm going to get home, walk L&B, change clothes, and get to more decorating. We have all the stairway and upstairs to decorate still. I also want to varnish the table top, and venture to target to find a bedspread. I don't know about that last part, maybe I should wait for my next pay check. Although I'd like to have it by the time the family appreciation BBQ happens.

Speaking of which . . . Angela and I invited everyone who helped us move back over to the house on Sunday so we could properly thank them for all their hard work in moving all our furniture and belongings. We're going to throw a bunch of burgers and hotdogs on the grill, make up some pasta and potato salad, probably a real salad, some chips and salsa, and give a very heartfelt thanks to everyone who's done so much for us these past several weeks.

The guest list (and list of people who helped) tops off at 11 people. So we're looking at our first full house of visitors. (Perry and Carol Adams, the kids -- Karen, Cody, and Hollie, Susan, Jon-Michael, and Ralph and Sheila Scott (and gratuitously included family - Jeff and Kelly))

I'm very stoked about this BBQ because I anticipate the house being completely (or almost completely) arranged as we'd like it by then. I also intend to print some before pictures so our family can see all the hard work we've put into the house. Angela and I might have poured serious heart and soul into the house, but none of it would be of any good at all if our families didn't help us officially move.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th