Skip to main content

A Little Bit of Consideration Would Go a Long Way.

First of all, unless all Hell breaks loose and I end up having to somehow kill the Undead, I am going home and going to bed today.

Now, on to the topic at hand : consideration.

Each and every single day I feel more and more that I must be one of the only generally considerate humans on the planet.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can be inconsiderate -- like when I pass you going 65 in a 45 zone even though you're going 15 over the speed limit already, and cut back in close just so I don't hit that double solid line. Hey, some mornings call for stunt driving.

What can I say?

What I'm saying is that on a day-to-day basis, in some very rudimentary ways, I witness people being inconsiderate. And I, well ... I do my very best to be as considerate as possible all the time.

I hold the door for those behind me. I wave hello. I ask how your day is going. I care. I genuinely care to know how you are doing. So many people just don't anymore and it's utterly disappointing. What happened to genuine humanity and compassion -- the desire to be friendly and cordial and thoughtful not because it got you farther, but because you actually cared to be that way ... ?

I meet many people each day, people who I count on to make my job and life easier and people who count on me to make theirs easier. And through our interactions we have developed relationships. And these are relationships that I actually cherish.

I'm friends with my bank teller, the waitresses at the local restaurants, the gas station attendants, the boys at the garage, the DHL driver, the UPS man AND the FedEx man, the lawn service people, the mail carrier, the postal clerks, the produce venue guy, the grocery check-out girl and her manager, and... of course, the hardware store boy. (teehee) And when I say 'friend' I don't mean it mildly, I mean it in the sense that I know where they take their vacations, what their hobbies are, all about their boyfriend/girlfriend dramas, their dreams, their favorite sports teams, their search for the perfect puppy dog ... and I care to know those things. I care about these people and if they didn't do what they did, my life would be much harder. They are valuable to me and I enjoy showing them that I am grateful for their services, and more importantly, their friendships.

Here's a list of the few things you might do that absolutely peeve me off:
1. talk at length on your cell phone while in the car with other people.
2. talk on your cell phone while you're at dinner with people.
3. ignore me when I ask how you're doing, or if you don't return the query.
4. two phrases, two words each: 'thank you' and 'you're welcome' are always nice to hear.
5. catch that door or hold the elevator for someone.

there are so many other things...


And...
Here's a list of a few things I like to do to show my consideration for others:
1. not answer my phone when I'm in the car (unless it's important or I know it will be zippy quick)
2. turn my phone off for meals.
3. ask how you're doing and actually care to know.
4. say 'please,' 'thank you,' and 'you're welcome.'
5. check behind me for someone following when I go through a door, check the corridor for people needing to get on before letting the elevator doors close.

These things not only show my consideration for other people, but they also make me feel good -- feel good inc., I guess.

I am a kind person, and because of that, sometimes I get hurt (and let down) easily, but I won't stop being kind. Kindness is the best weapon against oblivion and disrespect. And I also hope my kindness towards others is contagious and they pass it along. Nothing like spreading the love, right people?

Have you done something kind today? Tell me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of