Skip to main content

Futures and currents.

So... I bought a house.
I briefly touched on this months ago. But I'm just getting around to spewing any deets. That's mostly because we still don't have internet at home, so, for one night, and one night only, I've packed my necessities and toted my happy ass down to Mickey D's to surf their WIFI. Primarily because I do have a deadline for my web maintenance -- I missed it already, but was able to get an extension considering the circumstances. Then the extension wasn't enough so I am truly left with no choice. Mickey D's is not my location of choice for free anything, or unfree anything for that matter, but there is no classier place offering up free intertubes. I'm not even going to get into the Grimm fairytale it took for me to even get set up and working here, never mind the happily ever after (please sense my sarcasm) of getting to share the only booth with a power outlet with some military guy who thinks he's God's gift to everyone and probably plays and replays his answering machine just to hear his own voice.

I'll move past that now.

I bought a house. I've been in it since the last week of June and I'm loving it. Found a hiccup here or there, but that's probably to be expected. And I have lists upon lists of things I dream to do to the house. First on every list though, of course, is get internet.

Let's talk about Pinterest. Now, that is God's gift to everyone. Holy crap. I cannot stop skimming that site for ideas. My house, when it's all said and done, is probably going to be one quarter-acre lot of one Pinterest pin after another. But I'm okay with that, the people -- most of the people -- that share on that site are creative and willing to share. I love that.

I find it incredibly difficult to find inspiration in McDonald's. I really don't like this place much. Never have, and this free WIFI situation is not making my opinion any better -- stronger, but not better. Yeah. Ugh. This guy sharing my booth isn't even doing anything but popping his joints and tapping his fucking lighter on the table. WHAT THE HELL. Oh, wait ... he just touched the mouse. Oh, now he's tapping his fingers... never mind, false alarm. There is no internet activity happening on his side of this booth.

So, let's move on.

I've been dealing with a lot at work lately that has left me less uninspired. There was a restructuring and my position in the branch has shifted. I'll have an immediate supervisor now, who everyone (including myself) is determined will be a great asset to my development. While I am extremely excited to have this new guide and mentor in the trenches with me, I'm mildly, and I do mean mildly, offended that everyone is making this transition so nice for her weeks before she gets here, when, when it was my turn, I was literally thrown onto the high wire with no safety net. I was informed of all kinds of things that would need addressing, and I was put into a position with little to no real immediate guidance or help to discover the best ways of addressing them. My first experience with management was not a fluid one, and was certainly not easy, by any means. This new teammate of mine will have a much easier job, and that is partially due to her skill-set and abilities, but also partially due to the fact my co-workers and boss are all doing everything they can to make her transition her welcoming and candy-coated. My question, I suppose, is where was that sensational feeling when I started?Where was my welcoming committee?(yeah, we're actually having a welcome party for her).

I look forward to her starting though --she'll be taking a HUGE amount of stress and responsibility off my shoulders, she apparently already has a good grasp of where my strengths and weakenesses are, and I imagine she has a solid plan for helping me navigate toward the positions I'd love to find myself in some day soon. I am open-minded about her, but I'd be lying if I didn't say there is a certain amount of resentment for the transition. I tried, I tried very hard to do very well, and this restructuring is in no way a reflection of MY performance, this is company-wide, but the fact remains, part of me is still a little disappointed my time in my position is over. However, let's look at the positive side of things -- I will now be able to develop my own leadership skills and shine as a individual, regardless of the success or failure of my team. I can be great and not worry about carrying the weight of anyone not performing at the same pace as myself. It will be easier for me to develop both behind the teller line and in other areas I aim to focus on as soon as teller line management is no longer my responsibility. Bring on the new leader -- and let's pray she does a better job than any before. Maybe I wasn't cut out for the job just yet anyhow -- and really, I don't mind if I wasn't.

Hopefully as the days progress, I'll find more happiness. I need to be happy. I need days away, days to relax.

This weekend -- I'll be snorkeling. I promise you that. I bought a house in a neighborhood that has private access to the Rainbow River and the springs. I will be in Heaven. And I will post pictures. Don't you worry.

For now, I'm going home. I can't handle this guy's incessant clicking of the mouse accompanied by muttered swearing -- he's either playing WoW or a super-high-speed version of Mine Sweeper. Either way, I'm over it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th