Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I hope, as you read this, you're finding yourselves exactly where you want to be and with whom you always imagined you'd be with. May you find before you a feast more bountiful than you could fathom ever needing, and may you recognize the blessing that is this feast, as so many others see empty plates and feel empty bellies this holiday season.

Perhaps the plates, piled high with starches and veggies, will inspire you to acknowledge what you are and have to be thankful for, and, despite what hardships each of us may face, how lucky we are to be alive, satiated, safe, and happy.

I want to take a moment to acknowledge a few things I have to be thankful for this year. First, and most obviously, my family. I wouldn't be who I am or where I am without the support, companionship, and love from my family.I'm thankful for my mom and dad for their endless love and support of me; I know if I ever need anything they're behind me all the way. I'm thankful for the progress Susan is finding in her journey toward being free from dialysis because she deserves a life away from that machine. I'm thankful for Susan -- my sister and a best friend -- period. I'm thankful for Jeff and the fact that as we both get older, we grow closer together. I'm thankful for Jon-Michael for supporting me and taking care of me through everything he could, and for loving me so unconditionally. My friends also - they never fail to remind me that I am only as old as I feel. I'm blessed to find myself surrounded by amazing people -- the kind of people I know have the same heart as I do -- the kind of people who give, without question, to those in need. I'm thankful for the fact that my friends are patient and understanding people. I'm thankful for my Goddaughter, Nhyya, and her mother and one of my best friends, Detra. Before Nhyya, I didn't know what it was like to absolutely, whole-heartedly love a child. And until the day I have my own kids, I'm certain I won't know a love comparable to the love between Nhyya and I. I am thankful for Lucy, Blondie, Charley, Olive (and Morty, the goldfish) AND Heffah and Wednesday for keeping me (in)sane and being such incredible companions. I'm thankful for (Heffah and Wednesday's mom) Angela for tolerating me as a roommate, loving me as a friend, and for being there for me through everything that's happened since the day we met ten years ago. Oh, I'm thankful for the new roof over my head, and the very first house I'm living on my own in. I am thankful for both my jobs, and my actual ability to work two jobs to keep this roof over my head. And I'm thankful for the compassion I'm seeing spread through society this season.

I believe in paying it forward; I think a little bit of exerted energy goes an exceedingly long way. I believe it only takes a little to accomplish a lot. You can make a person's day better with a few simple words, a smile, or a kind gesture. I believe in being nice. And I believe in passing that belief along. I believe it is important to remind ourselves that we are alive. We are together. We can still laugh. We can still hug. And even if times are tough and our health isn't the best, we still have one another. We have much to be thankful for.

I'd like to hear what each of you is most thankful for these days. I hope you share when you've got the time. Let's consider it our opportunity to tell one another what we're happy about, what we've accomplished, and what we're most thankful for.

Be well and be happy. I love you all.

Alison

Comments

Samsmama said…
I'm thankful that you're back. I mean, really. Where the hell have you been??? ;)

Ok, I'm thankful for a wonderful husband. He supports me in all that I do and makes me strive to be a better wife, mother, and person.

I'm thankful for my stinky son, who constantly surprises and amazes me.

I'm thankful for my healthy parents, and how close they live to us.

I'm thankful for Facebook (shutup), which has made it close to impossible to not keep in touch with some very important, yet far away people in my life.

And I'm thankful for narcotics and health insurance. Thanks to both, Sam is kicking his pneumonia!

Happy Thanksgiving, Rev! Don't be a stranger!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th