Skip to main content

The good, the bad, the ugly.

1. Good: The Hype Machine. I wish I had a decent explanation for how incredible it is. I met one of the people behind it's genius last week and the way I discover music is forever changed. Take a looksee. Maybe I'll explain it later. Just trust me, it's worth checking out.

http://www.bizzia.com/files/168/2007/10/hype-machine-logo.jpg
The Hype Machine

2. Good: Texts From Last Night. A hilarious collection of exactly what you think ... texts from last night. Submitted by friends or recipients, or whoever, these texts are often times worthy of laughter so intense tears happen. People say ridiculous things. So check it out. TFLN.

3. Bad: My aunt died. I wrote about it briefly already. She's sorely missed, that's a fact. And there's always going to be a void in the family where she used to exist.

4. Good: One Sentence. One Sentence is a website that posts stories summed up in ONE sentence each. It's similar to Post Secret in the sense that people reveal intimate details of sadness or happiness or whatever emotion and personal issue, but this is text only.

5. Bad: I got home from my aunt's memorial service to a memo in my e-mail inbox regarding a cut in hours for me and two of my co-workers. Without saying too much, I'm pretty peeved about how the company/my boss decided to handle informing me of this whole situation. But I love my job here and love the people I work with.

6. Ugly: Immediately I started making arrangements to find supplemental employment. I mean ... I redid my resume, put a profile on Monster.com and essentially hit the ground running. When I was full-time here, I was just barely making ends meet. Now that my hours were being cut 20%, there was no time to sit and mope. I had to find a second job and I had to do it fast.

7. Good-- really good: the intensity of support from my friends brought me to tears seriously every day between Tuesday and Friday. One friend got me a meeting with a manager at Victoria's Secret the very day I found out my hours were being cut. Another friend bought me groceries. More than one friend bought me dinner. And even more friends have listened to me slightly panic about the potential shit storm I was about to go through known as having bills to pay and no money to pay them.

8. Bad: I got a text from my sister one night asking how her cats were doing. She'd left them at her apartment and I was supposed to go check on them while she was out of town. Well, I forgot -- in all the job related distress, I completely forgot them. And I cried like hysterical mess the moment I realized I had. The poor things had been at her apartment all by themselves. I called her so upset she thought one of them had died.

9. Good: Some friends who happened to be at my house when all this went down took calm control of the situation and drove me to Gainesville to check on the cats. Luckily they were all alive. Not only that, their food and water bowls were still plenty full.

10. Bad: When my friend dropped me back off at my house (at 1AM) after checking on the cats, I got out of her car, when into my house, and went to bed. It wasn't until the next morning, once I was already running 10 minutes behind schedule, that I realized I'd left my car keys in her car. Why had I even brought them with me to begin with!? I don't know. After a fiasco, Jon-Michael driving me to her house, getting my keys, and driving me home, I finally got to work -- and was just under an hour late.

11. REALLY GOOD: The very first place I applied -- Victoria's Secret -- hired me on Saturday. Sunday I started my training, tonight I'm going in for round two and we'll go from there. The manager is more than enthusiastic about working around my schedule here and is very supportive.

12. Good: every business I applied at has called me back for an interview. This is more cool than good, since I already got a job. =)

13. Good: things with Jon-Michael are so good right now I don't even know what to say about it. He's been so supportive and thoughtful of what I'm going through. This deserves a blog all it's own.

Comments

Samsmama said…
You've definitely got more good than bad going on! Good for you!

I can only read this post tonight, but I'll check out the one about your aunt tomorrow.

SO happy things are going well for you. Victoria's Secret? Do you get a great discount? I hope so!
J.M. said…
If you have really good people in your life, they are the ones who are supposed to hold the seams together when everything begins to fall apart.

I love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th