Skip to main content

Fest or Famine.

I'm experiencing horrific heartache right now.

The only music festival I have ever loved, the Fest, is happening without me in Gainesville, FL, while my aged body sits at home, bonding with a package of Oreos and reruns of Sex and the City and polishing off the second half of a bottle of Moscato a friend brought over one night..

I cannot begin to define how much I wish I were making that up. I'll spend the next (if I had to guess) two paragraphs doing my best to convince myself I'm bigger than the sweaty, lust-hearty allure of the Fest, but to be candid, there isn't much I've loved more in the last ten years. Maybe not even my boyfriend. Ouch, sorry honey. It's just, nothing truly compares. Oh, silly me, I'm so dramatic.

Have you ever felt that though? Have you ever felt the kinetic, bustling energy of a city full of people who all love the same chords? The same lyrics? Maybe some sports fans could relate. The fans of those teams who've won national championships in their home towns -- those fans can probably relate because the entire city erupts in pride and fiery energy that practically requires setting fires (like the time the Gators won their second national championship and people set furniture on fire in the streets) to release the ball of unstoppable force within.

A city full of people who all love the same music though, that's peaceful, not fire-starting. Each of the last ten years, as I walked the streets of Gainesville, my body and my mind were always at peace. Hipsters, haters, punks and hippies. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, always got along. I wore a shirt one year that said "free hugs" and before the end of Friday night, I'd already lost count. People are happy at the Fest. People are so geeked to be there -- so grateful to be surrounded by other music lovers who share their passion and their musical politics. (enter more Moscato). People there don't have to struggle for connections. They don't feel cast out into the shadows. We all, whether we acknowledge it or not, are part of the same cult. We LOVE our music.

The history, for me anyway: It started one year, many, many moons ago. Some relatives of friends we'd met on a whim called my sister, who lived in Gainesville at the time, and asked if they could sleep on the floor of her college apartment the weekend of Halloween if they came down for a music festival. Susan, obviously, said yes and we became fast friends with a handful of New Englanders who'd come down for the next half dozen years without hesitation. Each year, a little different than the last. We'd stay at hotels, rent cars, sometimes they'd fly in, other times they'd drive. I'd bike all over the city some years, and foot it others. We'd do pool parties at the hotel and block parties when the venues closed. We were wild and free and that shit was awesome. Enter Corporate America. Now I get my kicks off buying shit like a goddamn blender...

No, I'm not bitter. I need to write about something happier tomorrow. Rest in Peace, Fest. Moving on hurts, but it must be done.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th