Skip to main content

Dear Future Parents: there's more to names than letters and spaces.

Apryl and I were talking this afternoon and we got on the topic of names and how some people's parents must be a little on the sadistic side (that last part is from me).

It all started because she wondered what the initials JCFS stood for in my status message. My telling her opened up an entire conversation's worth of banter about names.

Some people have been graced with names like Jonathan Christopher Francis Samonas, which is long and quite the mouthful, but flows quite eloquently at the same time (I think it has something to do with the syllables). Meanwhile, other folks have been tormented all their lives long with names like Sal (Salvatore) Manella.

It got us thinking ... what other crazy names exist in this world?

We know celebrities like to give their kids identifiable names. For instance, Apple Martin (of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin), Pilot Inspektor (of Jason Lee), Coco (like the gorilla? of Courtney Cox and David Arquette), Sage Moonblood (of Sylvester Stallone), Prince Michael II/Blanket (of the completely sane Michael Jackson), Audio Science (of Shannon Sossamon), Moon Unit, Dweezil and Diva Thin Muffin (all of Frank Zappa, might he have been on drugs?), Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q (of Bono -- U2), Tu Morrow (of Rob Morrow, from tv), and Jermajesty (of Jermaine Jackson). (sources: one and two)

But what about the kids who don't have celebrity as an excuse for a ridiculous name?

Just ask Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, a nine-year-old New Zealand native who was recently awarded the right to change her name by a judge.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," Judge Murfitt wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily." (source: three)

We did some more research and what we found will astound you and hopefully give you a little bit of a chuckle.

How about these folks, I guess product placement was their biggest concern when they determined the future of their children.

1. Dell Broland (who ironically works at a Best Buy . . . dude, you're getting a Dell.)
2. Clark Bar (I wonder if he's addicted to them?)
3. Howard Doorman Johnson (sorry, but I'm certain HoJo's do not have doormen . . .)
4. Campbell Soup (apparently not a hoax. He's a bus driver, who has to wear a name tag)
5. Dom Perignon Champagne (he sounds high class)
6. Miller Lyte (probably slightly less classy than Dom, up there.)

And apparently these guys and gals had parents who just wanted to see what they could get away with.

1. Cole Durkee (cold turkey?)
2. Thor Luther (sore loser with a lisp?)
3. Yourhighness (who goes by Hiney . . . )
4. Stan Francisco
5. Rusty Hook
6. Rhoda Dyck (wow)
7. Polly Esther (polyester?)
8. Euthanasia (!!)
9. Nimrod Funk (who shares a story about little league baseball as a kid: as all the teams were coming into the field the announcer said" We have this year 10 Johnnies, eight Billies, six Davids, four Bobbies, two Rickies, and one.... Nimrod!)
10. Sue Baru (they better own at least one . . . and the company better have given it to them as a thank you for advertising for life.)
11. Revolutionary Hope, daughter of the one and only Pegasus (geesh).
12. RaeMe Do (doe ray me fa so la tee?)
13. Mohan Shitoot (poor, poor soul)
14. Allison Wunderland (not at all surprising)
15. John Crapper (redundant?)
16. Rick O'Shea (ricochet?)
17. Holly Cost (sick, just sick)
18.Christopher Whatcha McCallum ("it's that Christopher kid ... Christopher, Christopher .... uhm, Christopher whatcha-ma-call-him")
19. Robin Banks (I bet he has a hard time opening a checking account)
20. Adam Baum (sounds dangerous)
21. Eugene Pool (as in Gene Pool, crafty parents.)
(sources: four)

And according to the fifth source (see below), here's a list of ridiculous names and how many are on file at the Social Security Administration.

For Girls:
Armani (298)
Chianti (9)
Dung (5)
Reality (16)
Sincere (54)
Sunshine (93)
Unique (24)
Vanity (35)
Whisper (29)
Sparkle (23)
Special (11)

For Boys:
Atom (11)
Adonis (244)
Cannon (117)
Canon (49)
Casanova (6)
Cashmere (6)
Famous (6)
Legend (30)
Morpheus (5)
Neo (113)
Sincere (187)
Starsky (6)
Timberland (6)
Truth (10)
Ventura (17)
Wisdom (16)

I have to wonder whether some of these kids are set up for disaster. I mean, how long is it before Truth tells a lie or Whisper lets out a scream?

I just don't think it's fair to declare your child a Legend before they've even open their eyes or Casanova before he's past the 'girls are gross' stage of life. That's a lot to live up to. But man oh man is it funny as all get out!

(source: five)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th