Skip to main content

family bonding.



It was just Dad and I at the house around dinner time last night. He got home a few minutes after me, then we proceeded to scour the kitchen pantries for dinner -- settling on Cheerios for me and cheese and Triscuits for Dad.

What a hearty meal for the both of us.

I think watching Food Network while I forced down flavorless Cheerios, made them easier to swallow. I imagined they tasted like the oh-so-decadent looking angel food cake with caramelized strawberries on top and before I knew it, I'd eaten my whole dinner. :)

We flipped over from Food Network to CNN and spent the next half hour talking over the news anchors. One thing my dad and I are, without doubt, is Union people. And what's the first bit of news on CNN when we click over -- Boeing outsourcing all their work. Yippee-ky-eh!

So we're giving away more American jobs. Right bunch of geniuses we are.

Meanwhile, the majority of Americans are already underpaid, in debt, out of work, and desperate. (If you're not one or more of those things, pay it forward.)

We have millions of skilled and educated people already looking for work, desperate to make an amount of money that could help them feed their families. And Boeing, our Air Forces largest provider, is giving it's work to a foreign country.

How freaking bogus.

The AMERICAN aerospace king is turning to Russian aircraft engineers and Indian software geeks (no offense, pals) because of their immense technical skill and their impossibly cheap wages. All the while, the Americans are growing poorer and poorer, less and less educated, and inching closer to poverty with every word spoken about Boeing's outsourcing.

I just want to know when Americans are going to start taking care of Americans instead of just finding a way around the current issue -- just because you turn a blind eye, doesn't mean the issue goes away.

The work gets outsourced because we have higher wages here. We have higher wages here because the cost of living is higher. And we have a higher cost of living because EVERYTHING is outsourced (and thus must be imported).

Tell me I'm not the only one who sees it this way ...

Comments

Laura said…
i tagged you in my blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone busier than you is running right now.

I have a confession to make to my spark buddy, Melissa: I did not go for a run last night. I'm terrible, I know. Here's what else I know: 1. I have never made such great progress in getting into shape as I did when I was jogging regularly. 2. My knee starts to stay in a constant state of noticeable discomfort after I've jogged for over a week. 3. I miss the liberating feeling of running. 4. I miss the empowerment of cross-training (biking, swimming, running) So I've been perusing the intarwebz for motivational media this morning. And while I hate Nike for their shoddy work ethic, jacked up prices, and apparently tiny clothes, I love them for their motivational material. I just have yet to find any media more inspiring to me than the following advertisements. And ... "I am addicted. I've collected footsteps before dawn. Seen places I never knew existed. Run to the moon and back. Been a rabbit for the neighborhood dogs. Obeyed the voice in my head. Let music carr

The heat is on...

I've got to admit, now that people are actively involved with following and commenting on this blog, I feel pressured to write legitimately interesting stuff. Some things that peeve me: 1. I typically don't complain about misspellings of my name, but after three years, my co-worker still doesn't know my name is spelled with one L. Whenever he writes a message for me, he directs it to "All-" ugh. Initially I thought, maybe this message is for ALL of us. Wrong. It's specifically for me, he just doesn't know it only has one L. And I bet a million pesos he also doesn't finish spelling it out because he doesn't know it ends in i-s-o-n. I mean, it is a tricky name after all. 2. I went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a list of five things to get in Publix: dog food, dog treats, Gatorade, wine, toilet paper. I came out with 15 things (I counted because I wondered if I could squeeze into the express check-out... nope). I came out with 15 things -- NONE of

603.

I never told you this story, but when I was a three, I had to have physical therapy for a broken femur. Every single day we drove to PT, we went over a small, fairly insignificant overpass with had a shopping plaza below it. The address for the shopping plaza was just barely visible over the bridge. And it was 603. And every single day as we went over, I would excitedly blurt out the numbers to show my mom I recognized them. This turned into a game for us. And eventually, a tradition. Fast forward into my "more grown up" ages ... like ... high school. And, if you could be a fly in my truck, you would have without a doubt witnessed me driving over the overpass by myself and, sure enough, I'd just say it ... "six oh three." Shortly after high school is when I met Seth, Tommy, Leif, Troy, and Jonesy in Gainesville. Still, there was no connection. Their friends and families came to visit, we then bonded, they returned home, and still, nothing. It wasn't until th